Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure out what to get my girl for xmas

Few different categories here:

1) Clothing or jewelry. I've done this before, there's a reasonable range of options, I am dialed in to her style. Not that creative
    2) Other physical stuff. Not sure what would fall into this category. Car (jag, tesla, maserati)? Expensive and poor timing (given other cars we own). House remodel or furniture? Blah.
    3) Experience. Weekend trip of some sort? Grandparents in town over holidays, can use as an excuse to get out to Rio/New Orleans/Vegas/Carrib/smth else for 3 days? Kind of leaning on other ppl for childcare and dependent on getting her off work. Ski trip to VT? Neither ski, similar considerations to other trips. Other NYC experience - chopper tour, dinner at michelin starred restaurant, smth else?

Budget 1-3k in most cases (more if the gift is functional beyond xmas season). Thoughts?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Live-in maid/nanny. She can give you a butler.

Comment

if by rio you mean rio de janeiro, then i wouldn't bother as it will be outrageously hot and full of tourists; either that or, if you come around new years, it will rain as it seems to every year.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

For 3k I'd sell you a pound

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Of marijuana. Assuming it is legal to do so in your state

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

let the market decide

Comment

The more expensive a gift is, the better it must be

Comment

he lives in Connecticut, I think.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

#3 sounds like a good idea then, because Connecticut is probably really boring

Comment

You should give her something that will make her life more exciting, like a nuclear accident.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Fly the grandparents in for a bit, but in return, they take care of the kids for a day and give you and the wife a total date day. Go do something romantic in NYC like Empire State Building, ice skating at Rockefeller and then a nice dinner. I like Robataya if you don't want to spend too much, otherwise Per Se is really good.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        You should give her something that will make her life more exciting, like a nuclear accident.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Why not ask her what she would like?
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                            #3 sounds like a good idea then, because Connecticut is probably really boring
                            I live on a very pretty 2.5 acres with a river, loads of trees, a giant house and absolutely nothing to do nearby. So yes, the city is where to go for fun.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                              Fly the grandparents in for a bit, but in return, they take care of the kids for a day and give you and the wife a total date day. Go do something romantic in NYC like Empire State Building, ice skating at Rockefeller and then a nice dinner. I like Robataya if you don't want to spend too much, otherwise Per Se is really good.
                              I'm already flying grandparents in (all 4 of them) for the week from Xmas to new year's. So yes, this is the option. Never been to per se. I can work on getting blue hill at stone barns, or another top restaurant like per se.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X