Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you extremely lucky or extremely unlucky to live the life that you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you extremely lucky or extremely unlucky to live the life that you do?

Relevant considerations are:

Risk aversion
    German tank problem
    Futurology
    Paleodemography
    Value theory
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Extremely lucky. If I was born in the future or past I would have very different values.

I am going to need to change it, because my values are changing and my wife doesn't want to keep living in Chile.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No

Comment

Extremely Lucky:

I am the leading or the second to the leading Neutrino Physicist in Chile (and they probably want to go into Neutrino Physics in the future)
        I have a wife who I love
        I and my family are reasonably healthy
        I have a daughter who I love
        I make a very high salary for Chile (and a moderate salary for the US; low for my classmates/peers in the US though)
        I have a large travel budget and am likely to have a large research budget in the future
        I have low minimum requirements to maintain my position (teaching 1 easy class a year (will go up to 2), 6 months in Chile a year, approximately 20 hours of work per week , learn Spanish (haven't done this yet)) enabling me to follow my inspiration (I spend a lot more time than that working on following my inspiration, that is my estimated minimum time)
        I am doing physics

On the other hand, why should I get so much out of life when my family members (wife's and mine) are lacking opportunity due to their financial situations? Which I could help with if I had a higher salary. And my wife wants to start her career and not in Chile, so does not intend to spend even 3 months in Chile in the future.

JM
        Last edited by Jon Miller; October 25, 2015, 12:43.
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I am extremely lucky that I wasn't born in the past where I'd have less access to drugs and they wouldn't have much use for a computer programmer (there might be some other skilled profession I'd be good at, but odds are I'd be born as a serf and it's not likely that somebody would say "hey that serf is good at math let's have him do something mathy" or whatever), and I'm extremely lucky that I wasn't born in the future where I might have better access to drugs but would probably wind up being eaten by radioactive mutants.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Are you extremely lucky or extremely unlucky to live the life that you do?
            Neither
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Unlucky. My only marketable skills are applicable solely to space piracy.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'm blessed.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  Unlucky. My only marketable skills are applicable solely to space piracy.
                  I forget, did we play EVE together?

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    ...and if not, would you like to? We could use someone with your...talents.

JM
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

No luck involved in where I am. I started from the bottom and worked day and night to get my whole team here .

Comment

I don't play right now and haven't for a couple of years.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          I'm blessed.
                          But not Brian Blessed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	9102081
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Way lucky!
                            To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

I wouldn't be here if not for Hitler. So I'm lucky. But also, lots of people had to die for me to be here.

I'm okay with that
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X