British Greatest Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post

I do find it amazing, that even in such a small (but admittedly diverse) population as poly, there is always a rational guy taking an "interesting" position.

What exactly is that "interesting position"?

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
    While it may take some more effort to demonstrate it, it is pretty clear to me that the woman got off incredibly lightly, and all due to boys fathers testimony
    What's your basis for asserting that it's all due to the father's testimony?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
      What we have now is a system where each case is considered on its own merits with all relevant impacts on the victim taken into consideration. That's how it should be, and is what happened here. There is no need for blanket suppositions that a sex offence against a woman must inevitably be more serious than against a man.
      I suppose that's fair enough, although the three factors I mentioned (potential pregnancy, physical weakness, physiological differences in sex) would basically always apply. Lord knows mandatory sentencing guidelines have done some stupid **** on this side of the pond.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Mandatory sentencing is always a mistake. That's why you end up with the whole manslaughter/murder nightmare that serves no purpose other than making lawyers richer.

Comment

Not true. It also enriches prison contractors, etc.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

That's very, very odd reasoning. Does having sex as a consenting adult render one incapable of being a responsible baby sitter?

Are you suggesting that the act of having sex leaves one a raging, lust-crazed animal, entirely at the urge of one's sexual impulses?

Is your proposed solution compulsory virginity tests for babysitters?
            No. It would be common sense on the part of parents and guardians of children.

I'm suggesting the guy likely knew her enough to know she would be a very poor choice for ward for his son.

The same? Why should we have a different standard applied for girls?
            That's why I'm asking you. Had a man been convicted of this I'd be very comfortable in saying a custodial sentence would be pretty much assured. Indeed, why the double standard?

This is one of those times when I remember Poly gets really weird about the fact that sometimes women willingly have sex.
            No, Laz, don't be a dip ****. I'm questioning double standards in sentencing.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

That was more a reference to the "OMG she had SEX so clearly she is a WHORE and INCAPABLE OF BEING A BABYSITTER" reasoning.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced we need an entirely separate set of compulsory sentencing criteria because vagina.
              Save your hysterics for someone who cares and may be misled by crap. It's pretty clear. An adult had sex with a child.

Pass a reasonable sentence. The fact the perp has a vagina should be irrelevant.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Are you going to link to the evidence that her sex played a part in the sentencing?

Comment

You have been watching "Man, it's hard to form a reasoned and balanced judgement on the selectively-chosen facts spoon-fed to me by a tabloid newspaper". Thank you, and goodnight.

Comment

Working...
                  X