Inane job app questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
    yeah, i didn't really want the job, i just wanted to see what would happen. the guy didn't really know how to react, but he carried on regardless; perhaps he found it funny too and was keeping a straight face.
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could just admit that most people don't find deep meaning in their jobs? Or any meaning at all, beyond "this is the thing I do to make them give me money"?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I once had an interview (for a job I did get!) where the boss asked me why I wanted the job. It was a random data entry/research position that seemed utterly unfulfilling but easy and something I could somehow be paid for, so I didn't really have a great answer prepared. (I'm terrible at interviews.) When he saw me stumbling for an answer, he interrupted me and said, "Because you've been out of work for awhile and need the money?" I nodded. I really liked that feature of my soon-to-be boss. He was frank and did not care about appearance for appearance sake. Of course, a year and a half later he fired me because I'd stopped doing my work, but you know.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        Wouldn't it be nice if we could just admit that most people don't find deep meaning in their jobs? Or any meaning at all, beyond "this is the thing I do to make them give me money"?
        absolutely. but of course for a lot of jobs the main thing the boss wants to know is if you're someone who'll sit down, shut up and call the **** they give you chocolate ice cream. putting people through some ridiculous nonsense while excepting them to keep smiling is a good way of testing this.

i found with crappy jobs the interviews were usually very matter of fact and brief 'do you know how to wash pots?' 'yes, i've done it before.' 'great, when can you start?' the worst were the kind of jobs that are crappy but try to pretend that they're not; call centres are notorious for this. i once did an interview for banking all centre that lasted four and a half hours including a group work section and a sodding presentation. for a job that paid 12 ****ing grand a year. i didn't get the job, and when i asked why not (i was, even though i say so myself, much better than all the other candidates) they said that i was an 'independent thinker who was too confident that i would get the job.'
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
        X