No announcement yet.

Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best part? You actually posted in one of the drink snacks threads..

http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/206937-I-need-advice

I'm now picturing you reading that thread back then going 'what's happening here guys..?'

Comment

Oh dear lord, and here's you just last year also completely forgetting the drinks snacks thing..

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
      Drinksnacks? I honestly have no recollection of that.
      http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/2...-dislike/page2

You really need to cut back on the drinking dude..

Comment

Also the snacks..

Comment

Apologies if already said, but are you a member of any professional based organisations? Such organisations should run training and seminars that you can attend and get to meet a wide range of people in the field of your interest, from a range of locations of your choosing.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I'm a state school kid working as an accountant at a sleepy bank, with no internships and no connections. I know what I'm capable of and I have demonstrated myself previously (see letter of recommendation and fitness reports). Unfortunately, I cannot even get phone interviews for positions.

I would appreciate advice to improve my resume/cover letter, as well as general guidance on networking and applying. Thank you.
              You are looking for a finance position. There are only four brief lines describing your finance experience. Reading it I ask myself if you did more than routine reconciliations and data entry. Flesh out the description of your time with Mellon Bank to better explain the range and depth of your skills. How was your knowledge of financial instruments enhanced and which instruments did you record. I really have no idea if you were dealing with bank bills or exotics. Or simply recording at cost or mark to market. Tell your reader.

There is a two year gap in your CV from 2010 to 2012.

Your cover letter seems to say you hope to continue working with the "company, presumably Mellon Bank. WTF, you are looking for another job.

Without additional information in respect of your duties at Mellon Bank, this CV will go straight into the bin for any finance role other than reconciliations clerk or data entry. I gather from your posts, that you have done more than reconciliation and data entry work however your CV does not explain this this. Put bluntly, you have a CV that makes you look like a clerk with a part time job as a reserve officer.

Flesh out the description of your time with Mellon Bank to better explain the range and depth of your financial and accounting skills.
              Last edited by Egbert; August 8, 2015, 23:34.

Comment

I had another look at the CV and covering letter and note a couple more things.

1. What software can you use? Consider a separate little section listing this as employers want to know if you can use the stuff they use. I see Excel buried in your CV. What else? SAP, MYOB, Word, etc

2. The mention of "macros" raises alarm bells. Roughly half of macros contain errors. It is good that you can prepare them so consider including that in your section listing the software skills but perhaps do not otherwise mention it. Macros are all too often written by impetuous young men who do not adequately test them. And all too often written when they are not even needed. Macros also normally obscure the all important "audit trail".

3. You mention absences from work to go off on Marine Corps activities. That seems best left unmentioned as it involves absences from your day job.

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                  Your cover letter seems to say you hope to continue working with the "company, presumably Mellon Bank. WTF, you are looking for another job.
                  Yeah that bit was really weird. Probably a good enough reason for a recruiter to throw it straight in the bin while rolling their eyes.

Comment

Al. Your cover letter, were you trying to apply to the marines or for the analyst position ?

From your cover letter I get the serious vibe you are very involved/proud with your military career and not interested in the job opening...
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Contact your alumni association at Temple. I would be very surprised if they did not sponsor networking events. Contact your local Chamber of Commerce...they usually have networking events as well.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                        Al. Your cover letter, were you trying to apply to the marines or for the analyst position ?

From your cover letter I get the serious vibe you are very involved/proud with your military career and not interested in the job opening...
                        I did get this vibe too. I was wondering if it was just me getting such a vibe so I didn't mention it.

:backing up Dannubis:

Comment

sanity

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post

That is what I said. He is talking himself out of a job and as someone who does interviews that not only would not make me call him but would make me think he really isn't interested or passionate about the job.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I made changes:

* I have no idea what to say about a company though.

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I think your latest cover letter is better. As for what to say about the new Company, you will have to make up a new blurb for each company. Use the words they use in the job description.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X