Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me understand politically incorrect people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand politically incorrect people.

On my Facebook, I have some friends who either comment in threads from conservative Facebook groups/pages, or they share such content on their own Facebook. Unfortunately, this means that sometimes, I get content from such conservative Facebook pages/groups that show up in my Facebook newsfeed.

Sometimes, I would come across something from a Facebook conservative page that complains/whines about political correctness, and how everyone is looking for anything to be offended by, and how freedom of speech no longer exists . . . blah, blah, blah.

So, when I am unable to resist temptation, I go to that particular thread or meme on that conservative Facebook's page/group, and I post politically incorrect jokes about American veterans.

And lo and behold, all those politically incorrect people who have such a bravado attitude about how they do not care about offending anyone, and they will say anything that they damn please because they're tired of people being offended by anything, all of sudden, become offended by the politically incorrect jokes that I posted.

One politically incorrect joke I have posted about American veterans is:

"Have you heard about the guy who voluntarily enlisted to serve in the military while we were still at war in Iraq and Afghanistan? It's because he had gone full ******."

A second politically incorrect joke that I have posted:

"What do you call an amputee veteran? A coward, because he did not give his life for our freedom."

Can someone explain to me why politically incorrect people would be offended by my politically incorrect jokes? Does it have anything to do with hypocrisy and double standards? Or is there some other explanation?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

We haven't been able to make you understand anything so far so why should today be any different?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I'm having trouble understanding why somebody who goes over the top trying to be politically correct and is offended by people who aren't politically correct would intentionally make politically incorrect jokes. "Why does this other group of people apparently have a double standard? I'm the only one who should be allowed to have a double standard!"
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Maybe they got angry because the jokes aren't funny?
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
          I'm having trouble understanding why somebody who goes over the top trying to be politically correct and is offended by people who aren't politically correct would intentionally make politically incorrect jokes. "Why does this other group of people apparently have a double standard? I'm the only one who should be allowed to have a double standard!"
          I just think that political incorrectness is an excuse to be a jerk, bigot, or asshole.

We could all just remember what we learned growing up, about common decency, manners, and simple respect for one another, rather than going out of our way to be as offensive as possible.

Comment

Says the guy who went out of his way to be as offensive as possible

You've given up the moral high ground on this issue, it's time to beat a hasty retreat

Comment

Says the guy who went out of his way to be as offensive as possible

You've given up the moral high ground on this issue, it's time to beat a hasty retreat
              I wanted to show those politically incorrect people what it feels like to be on the receiving end of politically incorrect jokes, that are in fact, derogatory.

Comment

Do the ends always justify the means, or is this only the case when you employ ignoble means as a way to effect what you consider to be just ends? If you believe that you're the only one who's allowed to be an *******, or if you believe that only liberals are allowed to be *******s, then that's fine, we can all just add you to our ignore lists if you've decided to be a liberal Ben Kenobi. On the other hand, if you believe that everybody is allowed to be an *******, then you really don't have a case against people making politically incorrect jokes that you find offensive - they make politically incorrect jokes as a means of advancing their opinions, you make politically incorrect jokes as a means of advancing your opinions, I hope you enjoy your time wallowing in the same cesspool as your enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                  Maybe they got angry because the jokes aren't funny?
                  That was my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                    I wanted to show those politically incorrect people what it feels like to be on the receiving end of politically incorrect jokes, that are in fact, derogatory.
                    Congratulations. Now, man up and take the consequences.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Part of the premise behind the concept of "political correctness" is that some people allegedly take offense at things that aren't actually offensive. If you call a veteran a "******" how are you making a politically incorrect statement? Are people being unreasonable when they assert that veterans are not actually stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                        Part of the premise behind the concept of "political correctness" is that some people allegedly take offense at things that aren't actually offensive. If you call a veteran a "******" how are you making a politically incorrect statement? Are people being unreasonable when they assert that veterans are not actually stupid?
                        What if some jerk/asshole said that it's true that veterans really are dumb, because they served in a war, that was really just for defense contractor corporations to make money?

That jerk could plausibly claim then, that their politically incorrect statement has some truth to "veterans are dumb."

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                          Congratulations. Now, man up and take the consequences.
                          okay

Comment

What if some jerk/asshole said that it's true that veterans really are dumb, because they served in a war, that was really just for defense contractor corporations to make money?

That jerk could plausibly claim then, that their politically incorrect statement has some truth to "veterans are dumb."
                            Do you believe that veterans are dumb?

Comment

Do you believe that veterans are dumb?
                              No, I don't.

My dad was a veteran, my husband is a veteran, some of our friends are veterans.

Comment

Working...
                              X