Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    You desperately need to see Mad Max.
    I did. As I said, I felt underwhelmed by it, the originals were much better IMO.
    "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

The first original is actually quite lame.
      It's the second one that put the series on the map.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I agree.

I said originals, because it seems like a reboot of #2 and #3.
        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Actually I didn't see the first one until quite a bit after and thought, wow that was awful.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I guess the question is how one defines "good." IIRC The Road Warrior was about saving a town made of junk from the ravages of a bondage-gear biker gang by driving away in a big convoy. The sequel involved Max in a no-rules cagematch against Lenny from Of Mice And Men with a dwarf on his back. Both fun, but not what one would call "good movies" exactly. Have not seen Fury Road; is it just missing the particular brand of campy/trashy we expect from a Mad Max film?
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              Actually I didn't see the first one until quite a bit after and thought, wow that was awful.
              It was, definitely agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                I guess the question is how one defines "good." IIRC The Road Warrior was about saving a town made of junk from the ravages of a bondage-gear biker gang by driving away in a big convoy. The sequel involved Max in a no-rules cagematch against Lenny from Of Mice And Men with a dwarf on his back. Both fun, but not what one would call "good movies" exactly. Have not seen Fury Road; is it just missing the particular brand of campy/trashy we expect from a Mad Max film?
                I dunno, I think I just got hyped by rotten tomatoes giving it something like 99% or whatever. In the end it was like a mashup of #2 and #3, with some great imagination and great characters, but just the usual lazy suicidal stupidity of the bad guys with the outrageous luck and implausibility of the good guys.

Yes it's a no-brain chase movie, it's just that it could have been a lot better no-brain chase movie...

Comment

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                  It was, definitely agree!
                  Then you're both wrong, the first one was the only decent one. After that it just went stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    You're describing #2 and #3.
                    The original was called Mad Max
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      Then you're both wrong, the first one was the only decent one. After that it just went stupid.
                      The second one is the only one watchable. I agree that the third one was just stupid.
                      The first one was a low budget hack To give you an idea on the budget.

Because of the film's low budget, almost all the police uniforms in the film were made of vinyl leather, with only one genuine leather uniform made for stunt sequences involving Bisley and Gibson. Most of the biker-gang extras were members of actual Australian outlaw motorcycle clubs, and rode their own motorcycles in the film. Many of the other cast had previously appeared in Stone
                      But because of the low budget it was the most profitable movie for a long time.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        You're describing #2 and #3.
                        The original was called Mad Max
                        Yes, I know, but Mad Max is also the name of the character, no? Hence "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome." I've seen all three, and the first was rather boring low-budget junk. Like an hour and a half of meandering would-be buildup so that by the time he actually goes "mad" you've just about lost interest.
                        1011 1100

Comment

Sorry, I got confused when you called #3 the sequel.

the first was rather boring low-budget junk. Like an hour and a half of meandering would-be buildup so that by the time he actually goes "mad" you've just about lost interest.
                          And yeah, that about summed it up for me also.

And probably why they made the effort to portray Gibson as already mad at the beginning of the first lethal weapon.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Haven't seen Fury Road; definitely plan to do so.

And back to the OP, I have always thought Snow Crash had great movie potential.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              You desperately need to see Mad Max.
                              overrated

sub-meh at best
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                                And back to the OP, I have always thought Snow Crash had great movie potential.
                                It has the potential, but it'd need to be done just right; it'd be easy to screw up. Starting with Hollywood's fondness for whitewashing the cast. And parts of the novel would translate poorly to the screen, like the meeting near the end where Hiro just vomits exposition for several consecutive chapters. I'm not totally sure how you convey concepts as complicated as nam-shubs and metaviruses onscreen. But the number one concern would be getting a director who gets it, and I think this'n does. And NS himself loved the script.

Then again, Orson Scott Card himself worked on the Ender's Game script for years, and hoooooweeeee was that a stinker.
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X