No announcement yet.

The Stars and Stripes Should Be Banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I think about it, the Australian flag is also a hateful banner symbolizing racism and oppression. Time for ya'll to switch to a real flag, as well.

Comment

I don't like the top left corner of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        Except that wasn't the true reason.
        5% were owners. That wasn't what did it.
        Well let's remember that the average family size was 6, but only one, usually the adult male head of household, would generally be listed as owning the slave, so now it's closer to 30% of southern families owning slaves. http://www.civilwarcauses.org/stat.htm If you owned a slave you wanted to get the maximum profit from him, so it was common for owners to hire out their slaves when they weren't being used, so an unidentified extra portion of the white population had an interest in cheap labor. Finally there was the cultural aspect. Southerners rationalized their relationship with blacks by weaving an entire pseudoscience to explain why blacks were intellectually and morally inferior to whites. Some southern universities had entire departments devoted to this effort. Even if a southerner didn't own slaves he couldn't imagine letting the ignorant savages run free. Slavery really was the best solution. That idea was still being taught in southern schools nearly 100 years after the end of the Civil War. I can testify to that fact from personal experience.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
          Originally posted by MrFun View Post
          I have German ancestry from both sides of my family.

Maybe the next time I visit an American World War II memorial site, I will show up with a Nazi flag. If anyone asks what I think I'm doing, I can just say, "Hey, I'm just celebrating my heritage."
          I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Are confederate flags to be banned from civil war monuments and cemetaries?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cemetery2009.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	9101730
          no
          OH HEY, GUESS WHAT???

Floor Actionicon
          Floor Action feed
          July 07, 2015, 11:55 pmHouse votes to ban Confederate flags at federal cemeteries
          By Cristina Marcos
          After just two minutes of floor debate late Tuesday evening, the House passed a measure to prohibit the display of Confederate flags on graves in federal cemeteries.

Despite the lack of fanfare, the vote marked the House's first entry into the debate over removing the Confederate flag from federal property that went beyond codifying already established policies.

Rep. Jared Huffman's (D-Calif.) amendment to the 2016 Interior Department spending bill seeks to end a policy that allows a temporary display of the flag in cemeteries under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. It sailed through on a voice vote after minimal discussion on the House floor that encountered no opposition.

ADVERTISEMENT
          The final vote on the Interior bill is expected on Thursday.

National Park Service Director Jonathan Jarvis issued a directive in 2010 that allows national cemeteries that commemorate a designated Confederate Memorial Day to decorate the graves of Civil War veterans with small Confederate flags. The directive states that decorative flags must be removed "as soon as possible" once the Confederate Memorial Day is over.

"We can honor that history without celebrating the Confederate flag and all of the dreadful things that it symbolizes," Huffman said.

Last edited by The Mad Monk; July 8, 2015, 22:46.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised Republicans voted to get rid of Confederate flags.

Comment

Perhaps we're finally closing the door on that dark chapter of our history. Progress!
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzy Drake View Post
                Now that I think about it, the Australian flag is also a hateful banner symbolizing racism and oppression. Time for ya'll to switch to a real flag, as well.

That is the New Zealand flag.

The top left corner is good though.

Comment

Working...
                X