Open carry states, and calling 911.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open carry states, and calling 911.

So there are some states in the United States where it is legal for registered gun owners to openly carry their firearms wherever they go, such as grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations.

If another person sees someone walk in, openly carrying a firearm, and that person feels that their safety or life might be in danger, can they call 911? Or will the caller be charged with filing a false police report?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Most states let you do this, and this has been true for decades.

Pretty sure calling 911 is not the same as filing a police report, so no. You call 911, they will snicker and maybe send an officer or maybe not.

Comment

Werent some gun nut douches trying to make some registry of people who report open carries along with their addresses and names a while back, or did I imagine that?

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        Werent some gun nut douches trying to make some registry of people who report open carries along with their addresses and names a while back, or did I imagine that?
        How would they possibly find out who reported them? You probably imagined that.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
          How would they possibly find out who reported them? You probably imagined that.
          Nope, it seems not.

The battle has grown particularly ugly in Texas, where gun groups such as Open Carry Texas have conducted demonstrations showcasing their right under state law to openly carry rifles in public. The sight of groups of (mostly) men carrying semi-automatic rifles along a busy road or inside the local Jack in the Box has prompted bystanders to call police. In response, Open Carry Texas has begun making open-records requests, identifying callers and threatening to publicize their personal information.
          http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...men-moms-texas

Comment

Most states let you do this, and this has been true for decades.

Pretty sure calling 911 is not the same as filing a police report, so no. You call 911, they will snicker and maybe send an officer or maybe not.
            Okay, makes sense.

Now that I think more about it, the operator will ask you some questions, that will determine whether or not you genuinely feel threatened. And I think if you deliberately lie and answer falsely to a question like, "Is the man behaving belligerently in anyway?" then the caller could get into some kind of trouble, right?

Comment

911 gets crank calls all the time and they generally don't get prosecuted. I guess if you go out of your way to piss them off then maybe you'll get slapped with a minor misdemeanor and pay a small fine.

Comment

911 gets crank calls all the time and they generally don't get prosecuted. I guess if you go out of your way to piss them off then maybe you'll get slapped with a minor misdemeanor and pay a small fine.
                True. But crank callers generally do not get in trouble, even if the police are sent out, when it's found that there was no reason for them to be sent out?

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                  What did happen is that a new York area newspaper published a list of registered gun owners and a map of their houses. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/07...referrer=&_r=0
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                    True. But crank callers generally do not get in trouble, even if the police are sent out, when it's found that there was no reason for them to be sent out?
                    I think intent must be considered here.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      What did happen is that a new York area newspaper published a list of registered gun owners and a map of their houses. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/07...referrer=&_r=0

There should be a publicly available list/map for gun owners just like there is for sex offenders.

People should be able to find out if they live next to some gun toting idiot... and what areas have a small number (or zero) gun idiots living in them
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Are there localities with mandatory gun ownership and carrying in the US? As in, if you're allowed to own a gun, you must own at least one and carry at least one if you want to live there?
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                          Are there localities with mandatory gun ownership and carrying in the US? As in, if you're allowed to own a gun, you must own at least one and carry at least one if you want to live there?
                          It wouldn't surprise me, but I've never heard of that.

I suspect even the NRA might be against the government compelling people to buy guns.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            I suspect even the NRA might be against the government compelling people to buy guns.
                            I wouldnt be surprised if its the endgame they're working towards..

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              I wouldnt be surprised if its the endgame they're working towards..

Comment

Working...
                              X