Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary Clinton uses slave labor

Hillary Doesn't Like Unpaid Internships, but Clinton Foundation Sure Does
    The charity spent $30 million on salaries last year but not one cent on interns, unlike the Ford or Gates Foundations. What gives?

Hillary Clinton may be running for president as a champion for the middle class, but the Clinton Foundation’s interns do not get paid.

“Businesses have taken advantage of unpaid internships to an extent that it is blocking the opportunities for young people to move on into paid employment,” Clinton said at UCLA in 2013. “More businesses need to move their so-called interns to employees.”

That doesn’t happen at her own business, the Clinton Foundation that Bill started in 2001.

“The Clinton Foundation makes no promises or commitments of employment after the internship,” the Foundation says on its website. “No intern is entitled to a job at the conclusion of his/her internship experience.”

The foundation goes through about 100 interns each summer, with slightly less during the school year. Summer interns volunteer 30 to 40 hours a week, while interns who work during a college semester may work 25 hours. The most some interns receive is a $2,000 stipend for a four-month period, and that depends on financial need.

Paying them all New York’s minimum wage of $8.75, for instance, would cost a fraction of the foundation’s budget, which spent $29.9 million (PDF) on employee salaries, compensation, and benefits for about 2,000 employees worldwide in 2013.

“There is no section of the Labor Law that exempts ‘interns’ at not-for-profit organizations from the minimum wage requirements,” a New York Department of Labor handout clarifies (PDF). Unlike for-profit corporations, nonprofits in New York are allowed to employ unpaid volunteers. Unpaid volunteers can’t be required to work certain hours though (Foundation interns are), and they cannot be compensated in any way except for reimbursement for expenses (some Foundation interns get stipends).

Former interns say they don’t mind no dough, though.

Maggie Leahy interned in the Foundation’s communications department in summer 2010, a semester before she graduated from New York University. As an intern, she says she managed email correspondence, helped draft press releases, and the like. Babysitting on the weekends made ends meet, she said.“But I was excited about the internship, so I was happy to take it, even unpaid. It was such a powerful experience, and they gave us a lot of really valuable opportunities to contribute to the work they were doing.” Leahy now works at an education nonprofit.

Likewise, Talar Keskinyan scored a Clinton Foundation internship after her freshman year at Wellesley. Her internship had her collect data on the Clinton Foundation’s college partners and provided support to the students based on the data from those surveys.

“I felt like I had a lot of independence and was self-directing, especially for my age and being so early in my college career,” Keskinyan said. To afford the internship, she lived at home on Long Island. “My parents were paying for my commute.”

Though she didn’t stay at the foundation, she landed a post-graduation job at one of the startups she learned about during her internship.

“Their internship is probably one of the most well thought out internship programs I’ve ever done.”

The Clinton Foundation’s competitors do pay interns, though,

The Ford Foundation offers a paid summer internship program and its website boasts that alumni return to work part-time during the school year and that others have been offered full-time positions. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation said interns receive a “competitive” monthly salary, subsidized housing and “additional benefits such as use of the foundation’s health clinic and ability to access matching charitable gifts program.”

Courts have historically used six criteria to determine the legality of unpaid internships The Clinton Foundation abides by at least two of them: a mutual understanding about the nature of the arrangement and the idea that an internship is not necessarily a precursor to a job. Furthermore, courts say the intern experience must be of benefit to the intern, something all Clinton Foundation interns who spoke to The Daily Beast said it was.

What’s not clear, though, is that the foundation derives no immediate advantage from intern activities. After all, someone has to answer emails, send press releases, and collect data on foundation partners.

The Clinton Foundation did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

3 months a slave

Comment

Unpaid internships would be a lot more valuable as work experience if people were allowed by law to accumulate useful work experience in them.

My frank opinion is that you should find a completely new line of work if you're stumbling across unpaid internships. Nobody ever offers unpaid engineering internships.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        Unpaid internships would be a lot more valuable as work experience if people were allowed by law to accumulate useful work experience in them.

My frank opinion is that you should find a completely new line of work if you're stumbling across unpaid internships. Nobody ever offers unpaid engineering internships.
        the point of things like unpaid internships is to keep people without the means to support themselves out of certain professions.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

yeah, poor people need not apply

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
            the point of things like unpaid internships is to keep people without the means to support themselves out of certain professions.
            What? What the hell are you talking about?

The point of unpaid internships is that in certain businesses like entertainment and any kind of political advocacy, there are so many stupid young people trying to break into them that the market price for labor sinks down to or even below zero.

Comment

that's a not a point; it's not a raison d'être.

and what i mean is that in an age where it is impossible to say directly "the poor, the black etc. need not apply", unpaid internships offer a way to keep certain professions suitably middle class.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

No, I think the market hypothesis is much more likely than a conspiracy against the poor. These jobs are "fun" and so the person actually doing the consuming is not the internship employer per se but actually the intern. Then of course the rich have more access to it than the poor because the rich ipso facto can afford things that poor people can't.

Also, reg's right, if all you can find is unpaid internships that's a sign you're entering the wrong market. Change careers, and fast, whether you're a rich white dude or a poor black dude. Doesn't matter.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  No, I think the market hypothesis is much more likely than a conspiracy against the poor. These jobs are "fun" and so the person actually doing the consuming is not the internship employer per se but actually the intern. Then of course the rich have more access to it than the poor because the rich ipso facto can afford things that poor people can't.
                  i don't know where you get the idea that i'm denying that market conditions, and the inescapable logic of capitalism, allow unpaid interships to exist; they do, of course, but they are not why they exist. and i wonder what you mean by fun. do all 'fun' professions have unpaid internships? are all professions with unpaid internships 'fun'? even if we can define 'fun', i doubt either of those could stand up to much scrutiny, so it seems like a nothing point.

Also, reg's right, if all you can find is unpaid internships that's a sign you're entering the wrong market. Change careers, and fast, whether you're a rich white dude or a poor black dude. Doesn't matter.
                  or, to put it another way, if you do not have the means to support yourself during an unpaid internship, you should change careers.

Comment

Unpaid internships exist for the equally mundane observation that organizations can get some labor for free and so they do. And I would again argue that even if you have the means to be in an unpaid internship, you shouldn't.

EDIT: As for the definition of fun, I am defining it as the desirability of these "jobs" (such as they can be considered jobs, given that they don't pay). Many people want to perform these tasks and are willing to do so at a price less than zero. It's not a conspiracy, it's markets. They want to do so because working on a movie set is neat and you can tell your friends LOOK I MET EMMA WATSON *selfie*.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

On a completely unrelated topic, Id just like to take this opportunity to say thanks to all our staff here.

Comment

Some recent grads take unpaid internships to pad their resumes. Having a 'position' with the Clinton Foundation, or on 'The Daily Show' can open doors.
                        An unpaid internship in a McDonalds would be abuse, an unpaid internship with the USSC wouldn't.
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                          Some recent grads take unpaid internships to pad their resumes. Having a 'position' with the Clinton Foundation, or on 'The Daily Show' can open doors.
                          An unpaid internship in a McDonalds would be abuse, an unpaid internship with the USSC wouldn't.
                          The only people who can open those doors are the people with the means to take unpaid internships.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                            On a completely unrelated topic, Id just like to take this opportunity to say thanks to all our staff here.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's the issue, not some big conspiracy. You end up with some high end careers that basically only the wealthy have any chance of getting into. One thing that you're slightly off on though, is that the jobs aren't necessarily 'fun', especially at the intern level, merely careers that are highly aspirational.

This is just wrong. If the career you desperately want to enter uses interns heavily, and you don't have any existing contacts then it gets your foot in the door and may be the only route available to you. The whole unpaid intern thing is morally wrong, but if you can afford to take the temporary financial hit then its as good a way as any to start a career.

Comment

Working...
                              X