Any single parents in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any single parents in here?

Just asking your advice, how do you deal with being a single parent? I mean if you share custody? It has its ups and downs... sometimes it's good to have time for yourself but sometimes it just sucks. I miss my kids like crazy.... of course the same goes of their mother, but then again I did not start cheating with bunch of other people so she made a choice, and stuck to it. Anyway... I miss my little guy who just got out of diapers... wearing little superman undies, running all over with his red hair... smiling and laughing hard.

I miss my little girl, who is so smart, I'm learning from her already... like the other day she explained to me, with a serious face, how it's OK when the blanket is a bit cold when she goes to sleep beause that's how blankets greet you before they get all warm and nice. One night my little guy was complaining about the blanket and she explained it to him as well... don't worry, its just saying hello

But yesterday she woke up all crying and I went there and she kept crying that she misses me so much, and she'd want to be with me and in my house permanently, and I said OK... but then she said and this is what killed me, "daddy the tears in my eyes can never dry, they will be there always". She said it in a way that totally broke my heart. I've never been in such emotional pain that I remember of.

But this is how it goes, and so many other parents deal with the same issues, how do you deal with it? We still have a bad relationship, very bad. It is as if nothing has ever changed in between. She is still extremely paranoid, disrespectful and simply is not truthful. But this is besides the point, how do you deal with missing your kids and your kids missing you? Do you jsut try to explain it every time or something else?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I thought you had full custody?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Nope... we share. I would probably get it if I just wanted to, but I can't go for sole custody because of this. I'm waiting for it though... any sign of continued insanity and it's on.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I've been there as a child and as a parent. All you can do is be there for your kids and never dis your ex in their presence. No matter what, she's their mother.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
          ... never dis your ex in their presence. No matter what, she's their mother.
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Agree.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It sucks Pekka. All children and parents who go through divorce should go to counseling if possible. Make sure you support the other parent and never say anything negative about them even if it's true. Your daughter will be ok.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I've been there as a child and as a parent. All you can do is be there for your kids and never dis your ex in their presence. No matter what, she's their mother.
                Agree. The mother of my child has mental issues (starting with choosing to get pregnant on purpose with me of all people! ), which only finally got diagnosed (bi-polar disorder) a couple of years ago after a particularly violent psychotic episode!

So, it's a funny one for me really, because I have to consider the fact that it is not really her fault and to not take things personally. My current problem is that my son is now a teenager and that when he can finally see me as much as he wants, he chooses not to. I have to remind myself that that's his choice and he probably wants to hang out with his girlfriend and mates and play computer games rather than seeing is uncool dad.

Another sad thing for me, is knowing for certain that she's probably bad mouthed me to him for virtually his entire life and the fact that that probably clouds his judgment of me - but of not really being able to counter that except by setting a good example. Because to try to counter any of what she's said or inferrred would be to open up such a massive can of worms - at a time when he's still living with her...

It's sad, because we all could have had a far better relationship, but she can't help herself in spite of what should be for his greater good and not about us.

But again, it's not really her fault - it's just the way she is...

Everything will work out in the end.
                "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Good luck Moby. I hope it does work out well for you with your son.

Comment

I was your son Moby - a bipolar mother very bitter about Dad for my entire childhood, also had a year-long psychotic episode when I was about 16. If it's any consolation to you, I took everything she said about Dad (whom I saw once or twice a year) with a grain of salt, and yes, when in my teens I was more interested in my peers than my family, like many teens.

Stick with your current approach and all should be well.
                    Last edited by ricketyclik; April 20, 2015, 06:50. Reason: peers, not teens. whom not who

Comment

Thanks for that!

Yes, I am taking the long term approach and am fairly confident all will be fine in the end.

Also glad it worked out for you in the end too.
                      "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

I was your son Moby
                        But when you came back in time it changed the timeline?

Any of my future children here?
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think you'll find you're my son as well.

Sorry.

Comment

I think you'll find I'm you from the future.

I'm also our mother. You see. We were born with both sets of reproductive organs. I didnt look like you when we originally had sex because I had massive reconstructive surgery after I failed to stop a disaster and was burned horribly.

beware: an actual movie spoiler is here
                            Spoiler:

I watched "Predestination" recently. Ethan Hawke literally ****ed himself and is both his own father and mother.

My question is... can you still blame your parents for ****ing you up if they are future versions of yourself?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Enjoy whatever hell exists for spambots
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X