No announcement yet.

My problem with Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this was about Adrian Peterson being reinstated.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
      You should read the history of the real person the tv show is based upon. He had like five sons from four women grow to adulthood (he killed several of his own sons who had displeased him), carved a viking kingdom out of what is now the UK, but was finally caught and put to death by being thrown into a pit filled with poisonous snakes, and then his sons vowed revenge and created five additional viking states in the UK before mostly killing each other in a power struggle to see who would be king.
      It's probably in the next series

Alfred the Great also seems to get a walk in part - one of the children currently.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

That show sucks. I watched the first few episodes. I was surprised to learn it was still around. Bad bad bad.

... made even worse by the fact it is on the "pawn shops and cracker reality shows" channel.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I love it. Waiting for S03 to finish to binge on it.

Comment

I will give a to binge watching despite me not liking the show
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              You should read the history of the real person the tv show is based upon. He had like five sons from four women grow to adulthood (he killed several of his own sons who had displeased him), carved a viking kingdom out of what is now the UK, but was finally caught and put to death by being thrown into a pit filled with poisonous snakes, and then his sons vowed revenge and created five additional viking states in the UK before mostly killing each other in a power struggle to see who would be king.
              Oerdin can't help himself...!

Yes, it's a story based on historical characters, but not everyone wants to know the ending already if they don't know the history behind it. Why are you such an ass when it comes to the use of spoiler tags...?

I bet you're one of those douchebags who reads the last chapter of a book to know how it ends before starting the story...
              "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

If they base it on actual history, it won't be as described above. And the whole series is about as historically accurate as the average Monty Python's film anyway.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I've seen season 1. My, I chuckled at it.

"Yes, Floki! Crumple up those scrolls and start a fire with them. Oh, wait! Paper won't reach Britain for another 300 years! Good luck lighting that sheep's hide. And then escape the forces of King Aelle, even though he hasn't been born yet!".

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                    There is a point to what Doc says (and others) - I was very struck to learn that it was actually so-called barbarians that shut down the Roman circus and the collosseum because it was so cruel - to people and animals.

But the fact remains, the Vikings were pretty backward and I find most of the characters in the show unappealing violent yokels from the fjords.
                    The Vikings did not shut down the Roman circus. Their first raid was in 790 CE, 3 centuries after the Western Empire bit the dust. This series takes place even later than that, 2 generations after the death of Charlemagne, but before the reign of Alfred the Great.
                    Last edited by Dr Strangelove; April 25, 2015, 10:22.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      The Vikings did not shut down the Roman circus. Their first raid was in 790 CE, 3 centuries after the Western Empire bit the dust. This series takes place even later than that, 2 generations after the death of Charlemagne, but before the reign of Alfred the Great.
                      Except the first season saw Ragnar raiding Lindisfarne, which was 793AD.

Comment

Is it wrong to get the horn whenever the virtuous French Princess appears on the screen?
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Depends on which horn you're referring to.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

She reminds me of Mrs Horse. All propriety and indignation on the surface but likes a bit of rough trade like old horsie, or Rollo in this case.

Comment

I like when Hiccup trains Toothless and flies on his back.
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                                The Vikings did not shut down the Roman circus.
                                I didn't say they did Doc - it may in fact have been the Vandals - which would be an even more delicious irony.

Comment

Working...
                                X