Don't buy Elite: Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't buy Elite: Dangerous

It seriously disappoints me to say this, but this may actually be one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. The graphics are beautiful, but there is ****ing nothing to do.

You start off in a ship that can't do anything. It can't shoot, it can't trade, and it's actually stuck in a little corner of the galaxy because it can't jump very far and doesn't carry much fuel. It takes probably about 30 hours of gameplay doing incredibly repetitive and uninteresting tasks to work your way up to a new ship that can actually do anything at all.

I've come to the conclusion that space sim fans are, by and large, total ****ing morons who hate everything that is fun. In the quest to promote "realism" in a game with laser cannons and faster-than-light travel (omgwtf), you have to dock your ship manually every single time you want to land somewhere. This is not hard, but it takes a couple minutes. Furthermore, trying to jump between parts of a solar system is a huge ****ing chore because it's a serious pain in the ass to jump out of warp exactly where you were intending to--making interplanetary travel take orders of magnitude longer than interstellar travel, which is largely instantaneous.

The galaxy is huge--way too huge. Each system is basically indistinguishable from any of the others. They don't even have flavor text to make them interesting. Any star you've even ever heard of requires these "licenses" that take tens of hours of grinding to acquire to even visit, but it doesn't matter. You can only dock at stations, there's only like four or five different types placed in cookie cutter fashion in each system, and once you are there, you are presented with an incredibly boring menu. No exploring the station, interacting with people or NPCs, just a trading menu and a buy-stuff-for-your-ship menu. So for all intents and purposes, every single system is the same. And because there are so many, you never run into other players when online, so there is no interaction at all. The gameworld is just too ****ing big. It would be vastly better if they'd just manually built 50 or 100 systems, populated them with interesting things to discover, and instanced it if there were to many players in one system. As it is, it's just spare and boring and empty.

I can't even talk about how good combat is because I haven't played enough of the game to buy weapons that actually have any effect on enemy NPCs. You have to grind through a ridiculous amount of incredibly boring trade missions with paltry returns before you can even get the second-level weapons.

Don't buy this ****ing game. It's god awful.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

did you read the instructions?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Those games can be an amazing simulation of being a long-distance lorry driver, with all the tedium that entails.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Such a game is ideal for teaching a young man the virtue of patience. After all, something eventually happens, if you wait long enough.

Anyway I have lavished a thanks on HC for the warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
          Those games can be an amazing simulation of being a long-distance lorry driver, with all the tedium that entails.
          Euro Truck Simulator actually sold very well.

Comment

If it's like HC described then it has captured the original atmosphere and that's good.

Comment

i've quite enjoyed it. there is a bit of grind involved - you can't have a super ship instantly - but you can upgrade to a hauler after a short time and get into some decent trading. as i bought the game before release i got an eagle as well, which can be used as a basic combat ship; combat is quite fun. having said that i haven't played it that much, maybe 15 hours or so.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Try Star Citizen instead when it comes out.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

HC's review is on par with my impression of this game

Sucks though. I want games to be good.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    In the quest to promote "realism" in a game with laser cannons and faster-than-light travel (omgwtf), you have to dock your ship manually every single time you want to land somewhere. This is not hard, but it takes a couple minutes.
                    If its like the original then you can buy an auto-docking computer. Except that in the original manual docking was extremely hard (on a Spectrum keyboard). So you had a wierd thing where as a new player you had to repeatedly do something really difficult before you could save enough money to not have to do it any more.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      If its like the original then you can buy an auto-docking computer. Except that in the original manual docking was extremely hard (on a Spectrum keyboard). So you had a wierd thing where as a new player you had to repeatedly do something really difficult before you could save enough money to not have to do it any more.
                      I hate games that do stuff like that.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

you can buy a docking computer cheaply, but it takes up a valuable slot on your ship..
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                          I hate games that do stuff like that.
                          It seemed a bit mad at the time, but as he'd just created the most stunningly innovative and technically impressive game in human history, it felt like he deserved a pass.

Comment

The X series of games were like that too. Booooooooring.

Freelancer, on the other hand, was great.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                              you can buy a docking computer cheaply, but it takes up a valuable slot on your ship..
                              That's some ****ty design right there. Player's should be able to select "auto-docking" as an options menu item.
                              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                              X