Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Army does make a nice pair of boots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Army does make a nice pair of boots.

So I got out of the service in Dec 31st, 2004, which would be slightly more than a decade ago. I still had three pairs of desert combat boots, swade leather finish, gortex lining, quick lace strings, and vibrum soles. All three pairs are still with us despite the fact that I use at least one of them each work day. The Army makes themselves a fine pair of boots.
    Last edited by Dinner; March 29, 2015, 03:07.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Contractors made them.

Stupid unrelated ****:

I was at the hobby store with GF and some of the employees was flying a drone. I went and asked him questions and he said "uh maybe this $30 drone might be a better starter for you."

Estes, the model rocket company, sells it. It's a teeny tiny quadcopter and I could not get the "bumpers" all the way on so I started to fly it without bumpers. I'm a terrible pilot and pretty sure that I bent a propeller. Cat is annoyed, but not scared. Will try to get the goddamn thing to hover.

It's a good thing I don't live near the white house.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I used my original issue boots every day* from 1992 to 2011.

* Notable exception being the alternate boot during basic and not wearing them on non-work days.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I own an alarm clock that is at least as old as I can remember (so 25+ years). Still works.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Really? How is this possible? I have gone through several pairs of boots. I've found they don't last more than a year before the soles are badly worn.

In fact, the Marine Corps plans boots to last 1 year. Doing some googling, found this regarding the new RAT boots which just started being issued at the depots (and caused much consternation among enlisted Marines who will now receive a lower uniform allowance due to the longer lifespan of the RAT boots):

“What we found was that these boots will usually last somewhere between eight to 18 months longer and about twice as long on average,” said Todd Towles, project officer for Infantry Combat Equipment within Infantry Weapons Systems at Marine Corps Systems Command. “What we’re seeing is that these boots will last 24 months instead of the 12 that the old boots would give you, on average.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Really? How is this possible? I have gone through several pairs of boots. I've found they don't last more than a year before the soles are badly worn.
            Maybe they vere better made 10-30 years ago.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              Maybe they vere better made 10-30 years ago.

JM
              I would think technology would improve the boot.

Belleville 500 Temperate boot

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I still have one pair of boots. The other pair got ruined by charcoal from a MOPP suit. They're nice, but I prefer my Salomon hiking boots, which are lighter and have lower ankles.

The ruined boots were Bellevilles that look a lot like what Alby posted, and I can't remember who made my goretex ones which I still have.

I also have a third pair of boots which weren't issued; I bought them myself. They're made by Rocky and they're synthetic. They have tennis shoe soles, fit like tennis shoes, and weigh basically nothing. They're super duper comfortable and fantastic for looking like you're wearing boots for uniform regulations while not actually wearing them.

Buy Rocky Men's FQ0001073 Military and Tactical Boot, Sage Green, 9.5 W US and other Military & Tactical at Amazon.com. Our wide selection is eligible for free shipping and free returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                  Contractors made them.

Stupid unrelated ****:

I was at the hobby store with GF and some of the employees was flying a drone. I went and asked him questions and he said "uh maybe this $30 drone might be a better starter for you."

Estes, the model rocket company, sells it. It's a teeny tiny quadcopter and I could not get the "bumpers" all the way on so I started to fly it without bumpers. I'm a terrible pilot and pretty sure that I bent a propeller. Cat is annoyed, but not scared. Will try to get the goddamn thing to hover.

It's a good thing I don't live near the white house.
                  $30 drone kits? Holy ****.

Add some blinky LEDs and go trolling for UFO nuts.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I got a nice pair of cold weather boots from the Army in 2004. I always wondered why. The desert boots got a lot of wear, but it was never cold enough for the mud boots.

If I was a duck or deer hunter, I might have used them here at home.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                      $30 drone kits? Holy ****.

Add some blinky LEDs and go trolling for UFO nuts.
                      It does have LEDs! Blue in front red in back!

I mean, it's small and all but I still can't get the goddamn thing to hover.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

'swade'

"Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Well, call me a fiery-eyed free thinker at the gates of dawn, but I think different quantities of walking might have something to do with it.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

"Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                              It does have LEDs! Blue in front red in back!

I mean, it's small and all but I still can't get the goddamn thing to hover.
                              blue and black LEDs or white and gold LEDs?
                              I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
                              X