No announcement yet.

Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one thing you should know about brazilian officials or company reps is that they will say anything, and i mean anything, to cover their arses and try to shift the blame/responsibility onto someone else, or simply to get rid of you. in my experience you have to insist, complain, demand to speak to senior people, and be prepared to argue the toss with them.

best of luck JM.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
      one thing you should know about brazilian officials or company reps is that they will say anything, and i mean anything, to cover their arses and try to shift the blame/responsibility onto someone else, or simply to get rid of you. in my experience you have to insist, complain, demand to speak to senior people, and be prepared to argue the toss with them.

best of luck JM.
      I had a similar situation in China, and this is pretty much what I had to do.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I am too poor to be as blase about the 300 USD as I am. But it doesn't quite classify as an expensive mistake.

I just wish I had done it 12+ hours ago. I would have already been home, had a rest and be awake and active again.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Is there any way to get a visa or the yellow fever shot or what ever it is you need? Brazil is pretty famously corrupt so maybe a bribe to someone can help things along.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

maybe I could have bribed for the brazil visa and then gone to the consulate to get the passport pages and made it... but I don't like doing that sort of thing

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

i would strongly advise against trying something like that in an international hub like são paulo.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yeah, basically if Oerdin suggests something - do the opposite!
                "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Are you still stuck? I'd be sleeping wherever the company who you think is the most responsible for getting you home works and literally block them from doing anything until they've shuffled you into a VIP area that serves food on their bill until you're comfortably on a flight out of there.

A peaceful resistance approach, basically. If anybody asks you what you're doing, then tell them that you're waiting for company X to fly you home because they rejected your passport.
                  I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Mobius should definitely not kill himself.

Comment

^^Wow. Butthurt [emoji38]
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yep, those cheeks got well and truly spread.
                        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Naw, it was a test to see how butt hurt you are. I mean, if I am always wrong you should kill yourself just to prove it. Other wise I am right.

Comment

Thing is, you're probably sitting there in front of your keyboard with a smile on your face thinking how clever you are, when it's only children and simpletons that ever come up with infantile stuff like that.

Here, have this as a token of my appreciation:

Comment

I think JM should look vexed, intignated and bugger the hell out of everyone incessently untill they let him go on his destination.
                              Keep busting balls consistently and with unrelentless finess.
                              Eventually they realize they only have one choice: suffer through all this or just let him go.

Comment

There is an issue of how much suffering you are willing to put up with.

I am not willing to put up with as much for 300, 1000, or even 1500 as I use to. Even though 1500 starts to be real money out of my savings for the year (this year I expect to 'save' ~10k, last year I 'saved' ~20k).

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X