Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want a safer pregnancy? Tell her to swallow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a safer pregnancy? Tell her to swallow.

Oral sex makes pregnancies safer and more successful - study

New research suggests oral sex may not only help a woman conceive but may make her pregnancy safer and more successful.

The Australian study found that semen contains a growth factor which helps persuade a mother's immune system to accept sperm.

It claims to have found evidence that regular exposure before pregnancy, especially by mouth, helps her immune system get used to her partner's sperm.

Disorders during pregnancy often stem from the battle between the immune system and the foetus as a 'foreign body'.

Many of its 'foreign' proteins come courtesy of the father's genes so if the mother is regularly exposed to them her body is more likely to accept them.

Professor Gustaaf Dekker, from the University of Adelaide, said: "If there's repeated exposure to that signal then eventually when the woman conceives, her cells will say, 'we know that guy, he's been around a long time, we'll allow the pregnancy to continue."

New Scientist reports that Professor Dekker compared 41 pregnant women with pre-eclampsia, a condition where the mother's blood pressure soars during pregnancy, and 44 without.

He found 82% of those without the condition practised fellatio - only 44% of those with it did.

He says the protective effect was strongest if the woman swallowed the semen.

Now, when advising couples who have difficulty carrying pregnancies to full term, he says: "I tell them, 'semen exposure's good, and you could think of oral sex'."

Correlation between oral sex and a low incidence of preeclampsia: a role for soluble HLA in seminal fluid?

The involvement of immune mechanisms in the aetiology of preeclampsia is often suggested. Normal pregnancy is thought to be associated with a state of tolerance to the foreign antigens of the fetus, whereas in preeclamptic women this immunological tolerance might be hampered. The present study shows that oral sex and swallowing sperm is correlated with a diminished occurrence of preeclampsia which fits in the existing idea that a paternal factor is involved in the occurrence of preeclampsia. Because pregnancy has many similarities with transplantation, we hypothesize that induction of allogeneic tolerance to the paternal HLA molecules of the fetus may be crucial. Recent data suggest that exposure, and especially oral exposure to soluble HLA (sHLA) or HLA derived peptides can lead to transplantation tolerance. Similarly, sHLA antigens, that are present in the seminal plasma, might cause tolerance in the mother to paternal antigens. In order to test whether this indeed may be the case, we investigated whether sHLA antigens are present in seminal plasma. Using a specific ELISA we detected sHLA class I molecules in seminal plasma. The level varied between individuals and was related to the level in plasma. Further studies showed that these sHLA class I molecules included classical HLA class I alleles, such as sHLA-A2, -B7, -B51, -B35 and sHLA-A9. Preliminary data show lower levels of sHLA in seminal plasma in the preeclampsia group, although not significantly different from the control group. An extension of the present study is necessary to verify this hypothesis.

To us, it is the BEAST.

The greatest scientific breakthrough in the history of mankind

Comment

Problem with this study is it would be hard to give women placebo semen...
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

stfu Lori
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
          stfu Lori
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
            stfu Lori
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

/me sits in a corner.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

One of those links is to the CS school at Carnegie Mellon so uh I am skeptical.

Comment

An extension of the present study is necessary to verify this hypothesis
                  Where do we sign up for this important advancement of humanity?
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Don't want a pregnancy? Tell her to swallow, too.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      I swear to god, if you guys ruin this for us...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

My respect for Australian academia has skyrocketed.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          Just in case it wasn't obvious, this isn't specifically because CMU CS students and staff aren't qualified to do this kind of research, but because none of them has ever had a chick swallow their jizz.

Comment

Actually, I don't think this is a new study.
                            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10706945 is dated March of 2000.

In addition, oral sex appears to prevent pelvic inflammation too.
                            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3639487/
                            Last edited by pchang; January 31, 2015, 14:16.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Correct. It is not new.

I stumbled upon this in a somewhat related story on reddit (which was new, I believe).

but regardless,
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X