Have you ever posted a selfie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever posted a selfie?

Saw this in the morning paper. (yeah I'm old so get over it) and it can be found at

Posting selfies on social media actually may expose some antisocial characteristics, according to recent research.
    A December study from Ohio State University concluded that men who frequently post and edit photos of themselves on social media also tested higher in behaviors of narcissism, psychopathy and self-objectification.
    Professor Jesse Fox said the research, co-written with graduate student Margaret Rooney, was the first to scientifically examine the relationship between certain personality traits and posting selfies on social media.

"We are all concerned with our self-presentation online, but how we do that may reveal something about our personality," said Fox, who teaches in the university's School of Communication.
    The researchers focused on what is known as the Dark Triad of personalities: narcissists, those who are egocentric and believe they are better than others; Machiavellians, those who are cynical, selfish and manipulative; and psychopaths, those who lack empathy and disregard how their behavior affects others. They also evaluated self-objectification, or the process of valuing one's appearance over all other characteristics.
    The researchers theorized that all of these traits would be particularly prevalent on social media, where some people try to carefully craft an image, according to the study.
    The authors analyzed 800 men between 18 and 40 years old, according to the study. The men answered questions about their physical features and evaluated how much certain behaviors described them, such as how much they want others to pay attention to them and how much they thought about the integrity of their actions.
    The subjects also noted how much time they spent each day on social media, how many selfies they usually posted and how often they edited their "selfies" to make them look better, according to the study.
    The research concluded that narcissistic and psychopathic traits correlated with men who posted more selfies, while narcissism and self-objectification peaked in men who more frequently edited their photos.
    Fox said posting but not editing photos suggests more impulsive behavior, which aligns with psychopathy, while editing and perfecting one's image is more characteristic of self-objectification.
    "Definitively, self-objectifying individuals prioritize their appearance and thus it makes sense that they would take the time to cultivate that appearance before selectively self-presenting it to the network," according to the study.
    None of the findings necessarily mean that selfie lovers indeed suffer from personality disorders, rather that they may have above-average levels of certain traits.
    "Everyone has a little narcissism, a little of psychopathic tendencies in them," Fox said.
    The study, which did not evaluate women, was published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences.
    cdrhodes@tribpub.com

Of course I'm sure that the results would have been equally entertaining for women.

And for the record, I have never posted a selfie.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

no; i don't like them. but the wife has posted several of us.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I would bet that women do it more than men, but I have nothing to back that up with.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have. So beware: I may be a psychopathic narcissist. (If only Kid were here to decide!)

Fox said posting but not editing photos suggests more impulsive behavior, which aligns with psychopathy, while editing and perfecting one's image is more characteristic of self-objectification.
        Apparently there's no room for other explanations. Then again, I'm well outside the 18-40 age range he examined.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'm well outside the 18-40 age range he examined.
          Yes very far outside
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

All but one of the pictures of me that exist on social media (Facebook) were put there by other people. The one that I put there is my profile picture, which basically is a selfie of me and the EBF, taken by the EBF, but with the EBF edited out not out of malice (we were friends when I put the picture up) but because my reading of the Facebook profile picture rules was that the picture had to be of me and no one else.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I may have posted one or two... but usually if I post a picture of myself it's a picture my wife has already taken and cropped to take care of whatever random crap I happened to be standing in front of.
              I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I am not as old as Rah, but I still read the morning paper

I have also posted 1 possibly 2 selfies.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I just don't get the whole selfie thing
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

oh oh! Get the selfie stick!
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Of course I have. I'm kind of cute.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Well at least someone here fits the profile.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have used a selfie as an avatar here...

Comment

Well, at least we know your tendencies...

Fox said posting but not editing photos suggests more impulsive behavior, which aligns with psychopathy...
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

No surprise there ... it's a pre-requisite for running Apolyton.

Comment

Working...
                              X