The Great Scottish FREEEEEEEEEDOOOMMMMM!!!!1!!! vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you explain it a bit further?
    There was some sort of provocazia by the federal gov? Royal Trust is a bank I guess. And Toronto was/is in the part of Canada that wanted to recede or not?

Comment

• 1) The Royal Trust was a financial services firm (not a bank I believe)
      2) The Parti Québécois (Quebec separatists) was doing well in the polls and had a shot at winning the provincial election
      3) The Liberal federal government (staunchly anti-separatist) staged the coup with their friends at the Royal Trust (and The Gazette, a newspaper typically associated with the Liberal party) to spook voters and tilt the provincial election
      4) Montreal is in Quebec, Toronto is in Ontario. The idea was to show that capital was fleeing Montreal.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
        To the attention of Scots: "Le Coup de la Brink's"

In 1970, a week before the provincial election, the federal cabinet, fearing a separatist victory in Quebec, staged a coup with the Royal Trust. They had them load valuables and titles on trucks - presumably to have them moved to Toronto. The Gazette was warned in advance and sent a photographer. The picture made headlines and the story that capital was flowing out of Quebec circulated around the world. The whole thing was eventually revealed to be a complete fabrication.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176775[/ATTACH]
        The referendum got rejected 60/40. Let's not pretend this story made much difference.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
          The referendum got rejected 60/40. Let's not pretend this story made much difference.
          Well, some precisions. 1970 was just a provincial election, which the PQ (separatists) lost. They lost again in '73, but won in '76. This put them in a position to organize a referendum, which they did in 1980.

The coup had a major effect on the 1970 election. The PQ was polling at 26% and the provincial Liberals at 28%. A week after, the election result turned out to be 23% PQ and a whopping 45% Liberal.

Comment

• It's also French Canadian bollocks - everything I've seen indicates that the Royal Trust did send vast amounts of money from Montreal to Ontario. Though, the present of Royal Trust says it was purely coincidence that it happened close to provincial elections:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Sure Imran.

The Gazette was warned a day in advance to go and take pictures. This is what armored trucks companies do all the time - send notice to newspaper of their trucks' schedule.

Talk about a "coincidence".

Comment

• Considering your propensity to believe various conspiracy theories, I'm just going to go ahead and not believe you.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• What a great, convincing argument.

Comment

• Jet fuel can't melt steel

Comment

• Right wing politicians using fear tactics

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        Jet fuel can't melt steel

If it could, then aeroplane turbines wouldn't be made out of steel, don't you think?
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• It's funny you mention that because they're actually not made out of steel; they're made out of nickel-cobalt superalloys.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                            Would that be the Republic of Eire, currently getting over its own financial crisis, head of state President Higgins, the Prime Minister being the Taoiseach (pronounced teashock) ?
                            Ireland had tea shock? Shouldn't that be in a thread of its own?

Comment

• Why would anyone assume that an independent Scotland would be able walk way from their share of the National Debt? Why would anyone assume an independent Scotland would automatically be in the EU? Why would anyone assume that independent Scotland would enjoy NATO protection? What legal precedents is Salmond claiming?
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Who the **** would invade Scotland?

Comment

Working...
                                X