Ashers Baking Company: 'Gay cake' row could end up in court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    How does this = slavery is an ill that God despises, which just about every Christian believes today? Or could it be that... revelation continues! And God makes his truth known over the ages?
    All humans are equal before God? Here are not men, women, slaves or free? Not a far step to take. Paul didn't preach rebellion, as rebellion is not the Christian way. But his word makes a clear basis for the movement to abolish slavery through peaceful means.

A) Only if you torture Paul's epistles is slavery out.
    B) Not in the United States it wasn't. You may have heard of this long, bloody war that did it here?
    1) we'll have to agree to disagree there.
    2) as any historian would know, the civil war was not fought over slavery.

You are Norwegian and you are Protestant. You are either a part of the Lutheran Church of Norway or an Evangelical. In both traditions, divorce, while never taken lightly, is allowed for more than adultery. Jesus NEVER said anything about divorce being allowed for abuse - only adultery.
    Shows you don't know how things work over here. I'm not a part of the Norwegian church, I left due to it being unbiblical in its teachings. I'm not sure I can be labeled an evangelical. I'm part of the inner mission, a movement affiliated with the Norwegian church historically, but independent and much more conservative. Neither we nor anyone else do divorce, it's a state function. We don't do remarriage, but we have the right to do marriage.

As for abuse, buses why must it be from Jesus? The whole bible is inspired by God and edifying. Abuse is clearly not okay if you read Scripture. I think Ben mentioned the passage above.

[quote
    However, He said it this way for a reason (namely in that age a divorced woman basically had her life over). The problem is trying to read what is in Scripture without realizing all that was around (historical context) what is being said. So we try to take the words meant to apply to society 2000 years ago, and take them to the present without trying to realize what the point originally was - and that's when we get in trouble, and Christians try to apply pedantic rules that serve to create hate and disunity rather than love and charity, and THEN have no idea what just happened.[/QUOTE]
    Context is extremely important. Scripture is not invalidated though. Ever.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
      All humans are equal before God? Here are not men, women, slaves or free? Not a far step to take. Paul didn't preach rebellion, as rebellion is not the Christian way. But his word makes a clear basis for the movement to abolish slavery through peaceful means.
      Yes, all humans are equal to God. That's why homosexual sons and daughters of God should be allowed to marry in gay weddings. Not a far step to take .

It works in just that way.

1) we'll have to agree to disagree there.
      #2 is 100% incorrect. Historical revision.

Shows you don't know how things work over here. I'm not a part of the Norwegian church, I left due to it being unbiblical in its teachings. I'm not sure I can be labeled an evangelical. I'm part of the inner mission, a movement affiliated with the Norwegian church historically, but independent and much more conservative. Neither we nor anyone else do divorce, it's a state function. We don't do remarriage, but we have the right to do marriage.
      My apologies (FWIW, the Inner Mission movement was started by German evangelicals). But, also, NO CHURCH (AFAIK) does divorce. The ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) does do remarriage after divorce, however. Our former interim pastor just got remarried last week (in a beautiful service in the Chapel of Southern Theological Lutheran Seminary).

As for abuse, buses why must it be from Jesus? The whole bible is inspired by God and edifying. Abuse is clearly not okay if you read Scripture. I think Ben mentioned the passage above.

Context is extremely important. Scripture is not invalidated though. Ever.
      Who said anything about invalidation? That's your implication, not mine. Reading Scripture in context; however, allows for people to understand why what is being proscribed is being proscribed - and it could be something that is specific for the time.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Scripture isn't invalidated, but there is a clear logical hierarchy.

BK's remarks are indicative of how a fundamentalist reads religious texts.

"Nothing is invalid" = "I can pick out whatever I want to justify my monstrous beliefs"
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Again, Imran, I'm not sure how one interprets, "Let my people go", as divine sanction for slavery.
          You're really more obtuse than the most obtuse angle ever measured.

Thicker than the thickest object that has ever existed.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

That's funny, because you think the opposite of what most American historians think of the American Civil War and slavery.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              Yes, all humans are equal to God. That's why homosexual sons and daughters of God should be allowed to marry in gay weddings. Not a far step to take .

It works in just that way.
              Not to mention the fact that getting a marriage license through the state does not involve any religion.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Imagine that, Catholics fighting back when the CoE tries to kill them all?
                Well, you could imagine that, if you're really narrowminded.

Or, realise that there are still catholics in england, but you'll be hard to find many cathars in southern france.
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Nikolai, really!

Go read about the time, Slave Power ran straight through the heart of the divisions that led to the civil war.

Comment

• Yes. Any historian would know that like almost everything, it's usually never about one single thing. It's usually a combination of things as here, where slavery was just one of the issues.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Rah's right. The Civil War was a complicated mess. Slavery was an issue leading to it, but not the one igniting it. The issue at the time was the right for states to secede at any point they want.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Yes. Any historian would know that like almost everything, it's usually never about one single thing. It's usually a combination of things as here, where slavery was just one of the issues.
                        No, slavery was not just 'one of the issues'. It was the driving force behind the political divisions that were causing widespread bloodshed across the country.

Comment

The issue at the time was the right for states to secede at any point they want.
                          BECAUSE THEY WANTED SLAVES

norse nincompoop
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Rah's right. The Civil War was a complicated mess. Slavery was an issue leading to it, but not the one igniting it. The issue at the time was the right for states to secede at any point they want.
                            Oh gee Nikolai, and what issue do you think might have made the states suddenly start examining possibilities for secession?

Comment

• this is usually a bk troll

i wonder if you're being taken for a ride, sir
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I'll agree that it was the major one, but to say it was all about slavery is just not true.
                                That's like saying Hitler was the only reason WWII started.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X