No announcement yet.

The Impossibility of Growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway, who says our social structures are all that great? Maybe we need to experiment with change.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• No argument from me there. One of my mid-range (crazy) goals is to establish an extraterrestrial colony so that I can play around with new social institutions.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
        You mean, to hear me specifically say it? Why?
        You never struck me as an "out of sight, out of mind" ******, that's all
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The problem is that human children are hard-wired to learn by imitating their parents. Which they do very, very well; they take their cues from us for every single aspect of their behavior. Er, except the actual sex part of relationships, that is (unless it's a FUBAR family)--but they get their cues on how to relate to the opposite sex from their parents, for sure. Dunno if that's a complication for kids raised by gay couples. But that's a question for another thread, i.e. a BK troll thread.

Aaaaanyway, whatever social model you care for, if you raise your kids via robot, you'll wind up with people who literally act like robots. You'd need robots who behave exactly like humans, including counterfeiting emotions for the sake of showing kids how to control them. Seems difficult and pointless to me.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
            You never struck me as an "out of sight, out of mind" ******, that's all
            How much do you know about what's going on in Angola, Laos, Tajikstan or Bolivia right now? Basically nothing, right? Which makes sense, because their lives have nothing to do with yours. If you're like most Americans, you have only the vaguest notion of how things run in Canada, and they're right next door, and important. People on Ceti Alpha Six or wherever would be so far away that we could have no dealings with them at all. Maybe a couple of eccentrics might huddle over the latest twenty-year-old news from people they'll never meet.
            1011 1100

Comment

The problem is that human children are hard-wired to learn by imitating their parents. Which they do very, very well; they take their cues from us for every single aspect of their behavior. Er, except the actual sex part of relationships, that is (unless it's a FUBAR family)--but they get their cues on how to relate to the opposite sex from their parents, for sure. Dunno if that's a complication for kids raised by gay couples. But that's a question for another thread, i.e. a BK troll thread.

Aaaaanyway, whatever social model you care for, if you raise your kids via robot, you'll wind up with people who literally act like robots. You'd need robots who behave exactly like humans, including counterfeiting emotions for the sake of showing kids how to control them. Seems difficult and pointless to me.
              It sounds very difficult, certainly, but not impossible. As far as the point, well, there are a couple I can imagine. Humanity voluntarily decides to ensure their long-term survival (I admit this is unlikely). Dissidents decide to leave Earth, as you say. Earth (or the solar system) becomes uninhabitable and we are forced to leave. Or, similar to your dissident idea, a crazy idealistic rich guy (like S. R. Hadden from Contact) decides to establish an extrasolar colony for crazy idealistic rich guy reasons.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I don't think that's an issue unless you have children being raised almost exclusively by robots. If they have a robot and a human they would naturally see the human as more of a role model.

Comment

• Yeah, but if there's a robots-carrying-eggs-and-sperm scenario, you don't have an initial group of humans to serve as models.
                  1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by AAAAAAAAH! View Post
                    I don't think that's an issue unless you have children being raised almost exclusively by robots. If they have a robot and a human they would naturally see the human as more of a role model.
                    The current evidence indicates this isn't necessarily true. As long as the robot had something resembling a face, the infant might be perceptually incapable of telling the difference between a robot and a human.

Comment

The problem is that human children are hard-wired to learn by imitating their parents. Which they do very, very well; they take their cues from us for every single aspect of their behavior. Er, except the actual sex part of relationships, that is (unless it's a FUBAR family)--but they get their cues on how to relate to the opposite sex from their parents, for sure. Dunno if that's a complication for kids raised by gay couples. But that's a question for another thread, i.e. a BK troll thread.

We need to try it on monkeys first.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Nannybot_1_0_6514.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	9100887

I HAVE REPLACED YOUR MOTHER!
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                          Because they're programmed by nerds who have little understanding of social structures

Or, because once we get to the point where robots can provide nurturing and observe social structures, we'd be better off with just robots and no humans. SUPREMACY!
                          I see what you did there.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• This thread took an interesting turn.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• There is recent research on how swarms of small simple robots can mimic termite mound building behavior. Once those robots become self-replicating, we pretty much have all we need to build colonies on other planets. Mars should be our first step. Then probably, Europa.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                                There is recent research on how swarms of small simple robots can mimic termite mound building behavior. Once those robots become self-replicating, we pretty much have all we need to build colonies on other planets. Mars should be our first step. Then probably, Europa.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X