• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
    Please examine US population since 1800
    Consider longevity and not only birth rates

You are ****ing retarded
    Oh. I see. We are extrapolating from the beginning of the industrial revolution because that's more accurate, especially given how little social change there has been in industrial societies in that time frame in particular. Also, I'd have to agree that, as an optimal path to sustainability, we need to be careful to limit longevity in societies lest the future become some ghastly dystopia where people seldom die young.

Don't give up hope on me just yet OB, I'm certainly willing (especially with your patient assistance) to correct my inadequate understandings of macroeconomics and historical context.

Comment

Unsubstantiated bull****.

Here is my astonishing proposal to combat malnutrition: PROPER DISTRIBUTION
      Meaning the OGPU redistribute food from all those greedy kulaks?

*ahem* You might have forgotten other benefits:

- partial forestation to prevent erosion
      - less use of herbicides, pesticides, etc
      - no GMOs necessary
      - wildlife adapts more easily
      Other benefits of extensive farming? That doesn't make sense.

If you want partial forestation and to prevent erosion, then the answer is intensive, no-till agriculture.
      If you want less use of herbicides and pesticides, the best answer would be those nuclear greenhouses (running on blue and red LEDs). That's about as intensive as agriculture gets.
      If you want to eliminate GMOs then you're a neo-Luddite ******.
      And wildlife adapts to whatever wildlife adapts to. Although we can make it easier for them with a little genetic engineering.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
        Well, yes, sorry, for the past page and a half you've only been calling people retarded. I've been assuming it's because you think what they posted is wrong, but it might be just pathological.
        This is how you joined the discussion:

"Decreases in productivity also don't reduce resource consumption as a whole. What's your point?"

I still don't understand what you're trying to say, or what post of mine you were responding to. Make yourself clear and we can discuss.

Right now you keep jumping in, seemingly responding to claims I don't feel I made.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo View Post
          Oh. I see. We are extrapolating from the beginning of the industrial revolution because that's more accurate, especially given how little social change there has been in industrial societies in that time frame in particular. Also, I'd have to agree that, as an optimal path to sustainability, we need to be careful to limit longevity in societies lest the future become some ghastly dystopia where people seldom die young.

Don't give up hope on me just yet OB, I'm certainly willing (especially with your patient assistance) to correct my inadequate understandings of macroeconomics and historical context.
          Explain population growth since the Neolithic without economic output being a factor

Comment

• Sex feels really, really good!
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• What GMOs do for sure:

- encourage overuse of herbicides that contaminate the food chain
              - cross pollinate, enabling unwanted mutations and forcing themselves on farmers that don't want them

What they might do

- cancer and other diseases

The situation right now is that there's not enough research being conducted, and that Monsanto is actively preventing research. Monsanto has a huge track record of marketing unsafe products and then doing everything to deny evidence

Comment

Explain population growth since the Neolithic without economic output being a factor
                Explain the population growth trends in Germany, the UK, France, etc. using a Malthusian model.

Comment

• Over the long term, the most important factor is the economy.

On the short term, accidents like war and famine happen. In the end, population always tends to stabilize according to available resources. Post industrial society has reached a pretty good level of stability wrt to population, however food consumption is still rising (for reasons I have already stated).

Comment

What GMOs do for sure:

- encourage overuse of herbicides that contaminate the food chain
                    How exactly does golden rice encourage overuse of herbicides?
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      How exactly does golden rice encourage overuse of herbicides?

Comment

• Is that the smiley that means, "It should be clear that when I overgeneralize I really mean one specific thing but that doesn't stop me from opposing the general thing anyway because I'm bad at logic"?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Thank God you exist!

Without you, I could never have figured that increased herbicide use doesn't apply to non-herbicide resistant GMOs.

Comment

I still don't understand what you're trying to say,
                            Um, that a decrease in productivity will very probably not reduce resource consumption?

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            or what post of mine you were responding to. Make yourself clear and we can discuss.
                            Oh, right, sorry. I assumed that you'd understand that I was responding to the post right above mine, in which you said:
                            Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            If you try to show that increases in productivity reduce resource consumption as a whole, you will fail.
                            Which is either simplistically wrong (in most cases, increases in productivity have meant that less resources were needed to make the same amount of products, which is a reduction) or a useless statement (with current population growth, the only way to reduce total resource consumption would mean a drastic reduction in living standards and/or death of a large portion of the global population.

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                            Right now you keep jumping in, seemingly responding to claims I don't feel I made.
                            All your claims lately have been on the relative mental development of other posters. One imagines it's because you don't agree with what they say, but if you don't feel people get your points, try explaining them rather than insulting.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• What you fail to realize is that "drastic reduction in living standards" is exactly what he wants to happen (just for everyone else that is).

Failing that, he will settle for "death of a large portion of the global population". Again, just for everyone else.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Which is either simplistically wrong (in most cases, increases in productivity have meant that less resources were needed to make the same amount of products, which is a reduction) or a useless statement (with current population growth, the only way to reduce total resource consumption would mean a drastic reduction in living standards and/or death of a large portion of the global population.

No, increases in productivity, in the current property system of capital accumulation, have three major effects:

1) increase population (up to the next stable level)
                                2) increase resource consumption per capita
                                3) increase externalities, which are resources consumed at an unfair price

Comment

Working...
                                X