Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year ago San Jose raised it's minimum wage to $10 per hour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are a wonderful person.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, this thread got jacked.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        With the best intentions.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Well, this thread got improved.
          Fixed.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            What don't you understand? Because of the tech boom these stats don't tell us anything about the effect of the wage control.
            Tech workers for the most part are not hourly workers. They also make a lot more than the minimum wage. Why would the tech boom mask any ill effects of a modest rise in the minimum wage?
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              You've exceeded your allotment of views today.
              That would be an interesting feature, were there a way to implement it. I could probably handle 2 or 3 BK posts per day. Beyond that and my blood pressure starts getting wonky, though.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                  Tech workers for the most part are not hourly workers. They also make a lot more than the minimum wage. Why would the tech boom mask any ill effects of a modest rise in the minimum wage?
                  Because the tech boom has a positive effect on the statistics.

Comment

I think that the idea behind this thread is far more relevant than apparently a lot of Poly does....for what its worth.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I do. But what else is there to say?

To employers: pay people more!

Happy?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There are a lot of people, and most right wing media, who claim all of the stuff in the OP is impossible and that even a slight rise in minimum wage, such that it is still lower than it was in the past adjusted for inflation, would automatically result in run away inflation, massive job loses, part timers all getting fired, etc... When in reality none of that stuff happened. This isn't the only example too because we have lots of states which raised their minimum wages in the last 20 years with similar results.

This is yet another case of economic reality not jiving with the simplied economic theory being spouted by politicians and media personalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          Because the tech boom has a positive effect on the statistics.
                          Yes. The tech boom artificially increases employment for those without science and engineering degrees.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                            Yes. The tech boom artificially increases employment for those without science and engineering degrees.
                            Artificially?

Comment

There are a lot of people, and most right wing media, who claim all of the stuff in the OP is impossible and that even a slight rise in minimum wage, such that it is still lower than it was in the past adjusted for inflation, would automatically result in run away inflation, massive job loses, part timers all getting fired, etc... When in reality none of that stuff happened. This isn't the only example too because we have lots of states which raised their minimum wages in the last 20 years with similar results.

This is yet another case of economic reality not jiving with the simplied economic theory being spouted by politicians and media personalities.
                              In ND there is an oil boom. So, in some places, you can get a job at McD's paying $15/hr.

Whoever rated this thread more than one star isn't helping you learn.

Comment

I find it hilarious kid thinks he can teach anyone anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X