Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year ago San Jose raised it's minimum wage to $10 per hour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year ago San Jose raised it's minimum wage to $10 per hour.

One year ago San Jose raised it's minimum wage to $10 and:
    - unemployment fell from 7.6% to 6.3%
    - workers have averaged the same number of hours as they had before.
    - San Jose businesses grew by 3%
    - no new bureaucrats were added
    - just a dozen or so noncompliance complaints were lodged
    - the tech boom in Silicon Valley continues

One Year After San Jose Raised Their Minimum Wage, Here's What Happened - PolicyMic
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Its like I say with taxes - the effect of small changes is probably small.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post

One Year After San Jose Raised Their Minimum Wage, Here's What Happened - PolicyMic
      Impressive results.

As the income gap continues to grow between the wealthiest and the poorest in the USA and as the middle class continues to stagnate in real income growth, one would hope that politicians would open their eyes and realize that the prosperity we have enjoyed for the last 70 years does not come from the model we now seem to be persuing. Not only should the minimum wage be raised, but much should be done to encourage real income growth for the middle class as well.

San Jose
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

A year passed and there was a small variance in highly complex data? Wowzers!
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Exactly!

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          A year passed and there was a small variance in highly complex data? Wowzers!
          That's the whole point. Nothing bad happened.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Mayor Ed Murray announced his proposal on Thursday. He says it has broad support across the local government, business and labor communities.

Here's hoping for the chance to gather more experimental evidence.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post

my neighborhood
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The thing is the tech boom which is indepedent of the wage increase.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  The thing is the tech boom which is indepedent of the wage increase.
                  I'm sure that made sense in your mind. But, are you sure you didn't leave out a few important words here and there?

Comment

my goodness, what shocking news! it's almost as if paying workers decently will benefit a community...
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

LIES!:maD:111Wig:laf:
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

The general population is so blind and brainwashed that it can't see that the super rich are robbing them blind - getting them to vote against their own best interests, such as universal healthcare is a masterstroke!
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                          LIES!:maD:111Wig:laf:
                          i know. i nearly fainted. i had to get one of the kucibros to fan me with a neo-classical economics textbook.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                            I'm sure that made sense in your mind. But, are you sure you didn't leave out a few important words here and there?
                            What don't you understand? Because of the tech boom these stats don't tell us anything about the effect of the wage control.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

to this

The economy will be stronger once everyone at the bottom has no money and can't buy anything.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X