Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will be the primary cause of humanity's extinction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not quite sure what the quote means either but then I didn't type it.

I think people need more than "oxygen, water, and tolerable temperatures" to survive.... . . . . . . .
    like not living in a radiated wasteland
    Putin's going to get us all killed, enjoy it while it lasts
    I guess they'll ship you to eastern europe or korea to get hit by tactical nukes
    [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

Originally posted by 100% Wolf View Post
      I'm not quite sure what the quote means either but then I didn't type it.

I think people need more than "oxygen, water, and tolerable temperatures" to survive.... . . . . . . .
      like not living in a radiated wasteland
      Putin's going to get us all killed, enjoy it while it lasts
      I guess they'll ship you to eastern europe or korea to get hit by tactical nukes
      There'll be thousands of humans still alive, living in remote parts of the world or underground. A nuclear war won't make us entirely extinct.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

"Thousands" is a pretty small population bottleneck. I think the smallest it's ever been was around 10,000 and that wasn't spread around the surface of the earth in isolated bomb shelters.
        [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

"Thousands" is a pretty small population bottleneck. I think the smallest it's ever been was around 10,000 and that wasn't spread around the surface of the earth in isolated bomb shelters.
          I'm being pessimistic.

Thousands is still not extinction. It's endangered but not extinct.

Now what was your point?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You're being optimistic if you don't think thousands of people spread out around the world in isolated bomb shelters aren't doomed for extinction.

Especially since you think they'll forget everything after a couple generations

Comment

You're being optimistic if you don't think thousands of people spread out around the world in isolated bomb shelters aren't doomed for extinction.

Especially since you think they'll forget everything after a couple generations
              The human species will still exist.

Comment

after a couple generations of inbreeding it might not fare so well

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Extinction as in the complete eradication of the human species?

Given our global dispersion and adaptability, I don't think anything could cause our complete destruction. As long as there is some semblance of life on earth (water, oxygen, etc.), there will be populations of humans, no matter how small, surviving somehow.

Over the next millennium, as human populations spread beyond this planet, the survivability of our species will increase significantly if only because of greater dispersion.
                  GRB.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I keep hoping for an asteroid or comet, and I think the planet's due to get walloped by a big one, but, alas, no such luck so far.

Really, I shouldn't be in such a negative state regarding humanity's future — after all, it's not healthy state of being. But, really, after having read the Yahoo! comments that follow stories hosted by that website, can you blame me?
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

What? No Death Star option?

No force on Earth can wipe out humanity now. Even a meteor would have to be a huge planet killer.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                      X