Presidential Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
    What I think is more funny is that when someone disagree with the President they are obstructionist, when one person disagrees with Congress he is a divine king foiled by Satan.

Not everybody agrees with Obama, boo hoo.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Our system was designed under the principle of "Don't Tread on me," out of respect for the minority party. It was designed for a peaceful union, not this.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
        Can you imagine the hissy fit conservatives would have had if the Democrats had been smart enough to filibuster the Iraq War?
        Ask yourself why didn't they.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          Our system was designed under the principle of "Don't Tread on me," out of respect for the minority party. It was designed for a peaceful union, not this.
          Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• So, Obama says out loud that he's going to use his Executive Order power to its limit to get stuff done if Congress won't do stuff... so at the very least some minor thing can be done (such as government contractors' minimum wage going up since he can't change the minimum wage law itself). Why is this a big deal again? He's basically saying outloud what Presidents have been doing for the last 20 years. GW Bush was perfectly fine with EO's to get around Congress, for instance.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Because OBAMA IS A KENYAN MUSLIM SOCIAL FASCIST COMMUNIST

WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                So, Obama says out loud that he's going to use his Executive Order power to its limit to get stuff done if Congress won't do stuff... so at the very least some minor thing can be done (such as government contractors' minimum wage going up since he can't change the minimum wage law itself). Why is this a big deal again? He's basically saying outloud what Presidents have been doing for the last 20 years. GW Bush was perfectly fine with EO's to get around Congress, for instance.
                because he's black
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Hey MrFun
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
                    Can you imagine the hissy fit conservatives would have had if the Democrats had been smart enough to filibuster the Iraq War?
                    The amount of forehead veins that would have exploded ...
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      I have no interest in being 'explained' to by someone who cannot spell dysfunctional.
                      Zing...
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                        because he's black
                        Have some self-respect. You're better than that.

Comment

So, Obama says out loud that he's going to use his Executive Order power to its limit to get stuff done if Congress won't do stuff... so at the very least some minor thing can be done (such as government contractors' minimum wage going up since he can't change the minimum wage law itself). Why is this a big deal again? He's basically saying outloud what Presidents have been doing for the last 20 years. GW Bush was perfectly fine with EO's to get around Congress, for instance.
                          Which Obama undid many of once he took office. And the chance the next president will do the same to his. That's the problem with this type of thinking. But as everyone has said, this is not the first time.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            Well yeah, that's the point. The system was constructed by people who genuinely believed that political factions would compromise and put country before party. If that stops happening then the system stops working properly.
                            No. It works as intended. The idea was that if an idea was not good enough to have broad support then the government needed to stay out of it. That is still my idea.

I find it difficult to understand why the government not churnning out hundreds of new laws every year is a bad thing. If public opinion is overwhelmingly for something then every Congrressman will jump on the nearest talk show to say how he/she was always in favor of that idea and it will go through Congress like a hot knife going through butter.

It is the ideas that have strong divisions among the people that cause "obstructionism". And that, U.S. Civics students, is by design...not accident.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

In and of itself its not really a problem. The issue is Obama does not exist in a vacuum, he exists in a political reality where he and his Democratic cronies spent eight years decrying every action of the executive as an abuse of p[wer. actions that very often did have the official approval of Congress. They were literally burning effigies of Bush in the streets and decapitating his likeness at Democratic conventions (just imagine the reactions if Republicans did the same today) over this sort of go it alone stuff.

There is really no arguing that Obama has not been the most authoritative, secretive and imperial president in living memory. On top of that the shear contempt he has for any one or group who disagrees with him is also unheard of in living memory (given Gate's revelation I am not sure how much of this originates from Obama himself, but he is responsible for his appointees). I will give you a bit of slack on the filibuster thing but that is nearly irrelevant to his legislative woes outside nominations because ANOTHER PARTY THAT DISAGREES WITH HIM HOLDS THE HOUSE. Every time someone *****es about his legislative packages failing because a democratically elected legislature votes against him they are simply frustrated with democracy. That's fine IF you accept the validity of that democratic process even if it is frustrating you. What we are seeing now is contempt for democracy because people DARED express opinions contrary to theirs, DARED to vote for a representative that in turn votes as they want. Oddly enough those same people seem to have no problem with Obama when he threatens to veto legislation he doesn't like that has or would have passed with two houses of Congress behind it.

Obama isn't a king. If his message and position is unable to garner the support through a proven and stable democratic process the problem is not with the process, its with the message or position. If he can't get the legislators to change their mind or just change who those legislators are after three elections he and his party can influence then again the problem is with his message or position.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                                In and of itself its not really a problem. The issue is Obama does not exist in a vacuum, he exists in a political reality where he and his Democratic cronies spent eight years decrying every action of the executive as an abuse of p[wer.
                                They are politicians?! Gasp!
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X