No announcement yet.

Canada declares war on Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's like saying "I took prawn cocktail, sirloin steak and fries, and chocolate ice cream and mixed them all together in a blender. I discovered that I liked the resulting blended slop more than I liked a cheese and pickle sandwich".

What qualities do you like in whisky?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

It's somewhat sweet, and not overly smoky or peaty. I like maltiness, and the somewhat sweet/smoky aftertaste. I can (at least used to) drink large quantities (my ex and I would split a bottle over a nice evening) without deleterious after effects.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Try the 15-year old Glenfarclas or the 16-year-old Aberlour. They're about a third of the price of Blue Label and easily match it for those qualities.

Comment

I hate that I can't get Irn-Bru here. I found a British imports shop in Boston that sells it, but of course it's crazy expensive. Also, I'm not Bostonian.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I received a JW sampler years ago; I don't recall the precise order, but I did prefer gold over blue.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I have a bottle of Glenfarclas 21 year old and a bottle of Yamazaki 12 year old. But first, I should finish the Blue Label and a Dalwhinnie 15 year old.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Nothing wrong with Dalwhinnie. That's next Sunday's bottle. I still would like to hear from our resident physicians on how to reconcile my occasional drinking with my heart meds. My family physician is an absolutist, and a non-drinker, so really not helpful.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

BTW, turns out this guy is full of ****.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

As for Scotch... My current inventory in various stages of empty...

Tomintoul 12 Oloroso Sherry Cask
                    Glenfarclas 17
                    Bruichladdich 2003 Organic
                    Highland Park 12
                    Aberlour A'bunadh
                    Oban 14
                    Whyte and Mackay 30
                    Glenfiddich 18
                    Glenlivet 12
                    Highland Queen Majesty 16
                    JW Green
                    Dalmore 12
                    Bowmore 12
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Two of my favourites there in Glenfarclas 17 and Aberlour A'bunadh. You're a little light on peaty monsters.

Comment

I think I'm going to start trying some high end Japanese whiskeys.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The only one I'm familiar with is Nikka. I was surprised by it- it's got complex mineral notes that I've never tasted in any Scottish single malt. It's got a real personality of its own.

Comment

I got a 500ml barrel strength bottle of Nikka for Xmas. It's excellent. Needs water obviously. Minerality is a tiny bit like Sicilian volcanic white wine. Also quite sweet and fruity.

The Aberlour A'bunadh is excellent, I've got Batch 45.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                            X