China: The new space superpower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    Of course it is. Mummy and Daddys money and contacts go a long way.
    I admit, I find it a little wearying that you believe that I don't earn my own money and find my own jobs....
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      Of course it is. Mummy and Daddys money and contacts go a long way.
      Between the Confucianism-influenced culture and the One Child Policy, I don't see how China wouldn't have that in spades.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Princelings.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
          Between the Confucianism-influenced culture and the One Child Policy, I don't see how China wouldn't have that in spades.
          Confucian culture and a One Child Policy mean money and contacts in spades?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            I admit, I find it a little wearying that you believe that I don't earn my own money and find my own jobs....
            You paid for your private schooling yourself?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
              Seriously, and? What is the point you are trying to make?
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                If you're going to quote me, please quote me accurately. I didn't say that the Japanese don't know how to think. I said that their schools "don't teach kids how to think." Rote memorization and cramming is a great way to look good on PISA or whatever the test du jour is, but it cripples creativity and initiative. You wind up with outstanding factory workers and salary-men, but stifled entrepreneurs and innovators. Japan and China do well in industries (e.g. automobiles) that can effectively employ government support along the old zaibatsu model, but they are stagnant and unresponsive elsewhere. After all, when was the last time you played a Japanese made video game? Everything good is coming from North American or European companies like Firaxis, Bioware, Bethesda, Valve, and Rockstar North, or tiny indie developers in the west. Nintendo and SquareEnix just keep making the same games over and over.
                If "teaching people how to think" doesn't actually result in people being better at thinking you should come up with a new phrase for it. Your opinion on the quality of various video games is subjective and doesn't change the fact that companies like Nintendo and Sony have been very commercially successful. Making the same game over and over (cough cough Madden NFL) indicates that the original game was so well conceived that it can be remade again and again and still provide consumers with an enjoyable experience, so it's not really a sign of a lack of creativity, it's just milking the original inspiration for all its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  Once again a communist country demonstrates its prowess at building potemkin villages and engaging in pointless, expensive prestige projects.
                  China's not really purely a communist country anymore; for a long time, now. Please catch up in being informed.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                    If you're going to quote me, please quote me accurately. I didn't say that the Japanese don't know how to think. I said that their schools "don't teach kids how to think." Rote memorization and cramming is a great way to look good on PISA or whatever the test du jour is, but it cripples creativity and initiative. You wind up with outstanding factory workers and salary-men, but stifled entrepreneurs and innovators. Japan and China do well in industries (e.g. automobiles) that can effectively employ government support along the old zaibatsu model, but they are stagnant and unresponsive elsewhere. After all, when was the last time you played a Japanese made video game? Everything good is coming from North American or European companies like Firaxis, Bioware, Bethesda, Valve, and Rockstar North, or tiny indie developers in the west. Nintendo and SquareEnix just keep making the same games over and over.
                    Just want to say I think Nintendo makes good ****, dude. Sure they keep pumping the same IP but Zelda's as awesome as it ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                      Not if you don't have a system that allows the elites to be identified and keep them in country.
                      They seem to be doing pretty well as far as business is concerned. Anyways, the Soviet Union showed you could be a superpower (at least for a time) even with an even less intelligent economic/social foundation ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
                        If "teaching people how to think" doesn't actually result in people being better at thinking you should come up with a new phrase for it.
                        Obviously teaching people "how" to think is bull****. It's what the humanities are all about. Teaching people how to bluff and bull**** their way through life is essential for producing a good entrepreneurial class. And the west is full of liberal arts majors who graduate every year and suddenly realize they have nothing but bull**** to offer the world.

Your opinion on the quality of various video games is subjective and doesn't change the fact that companies like Nintendo and Sony have been very commercially successful. Making the same game over and over (cough cough Madden NFL) indicates that the original game was so well conceived that it can be remade again and again and still provide consumers with an enjoyable experience, so it's not really a sign of a lack of creativity, it's just milking the original inspiration for all its worth.
                        My "opinion" on video games is verifiably correct.
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Uh, yeah, that really explains why all the big startups are from humanities majors...

To be honest, math degrees actually do teach you how to think. That's the real irony of the humanities.

Comment

I promise you that no start up is created without humanities majors. Lawyers, those most despicable of all God's creatures, often study liberal arts at the undergrad level.

Comment

I was pre-law and the path then was an LAS degree (poly sci) for me.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I choose to ignore what you are saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X