Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China: The new space superpower?

China's Jade Rabbit Moon rover sends back first photos

The first robot to land on the Moon in nearly 40 years, China's Jade Rabbit rover, has begun sending back photos, with shots of its lunar lander.

Jade Rabbit rolled down a ramp lowered by the lander and on to the volcanic plain known as Sinus Iridum at 04:35 Beijing time on Saturday (20:35 GMT).

It moved to a spot a few metres away, its historic short journey recorded by the lander.

On Sunday evening the two machines began photographing each other.

A Chinese flag is clearly visible on the Jade Rabbit as it stands deployed on the Moon's surface.
    Whilst the US and the USSR were only interested in the Moon for their mutual dick waving contest, it seems like China is rapidly building up a space infrastructure that could see it outstrip the capabilities of both the Americans and the Russians and become the first nation to actively mine the moon for minerals...

discuss.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Why China is fixated on the Moon

I asked him if the idea of a Chinese moonbase extracting minerals was remotely plausible.

"It's perfectly plausible from the technical point of view, absolutely plausible from the finance point of view because they have great buying power, so I think, yes, there's nothing at all to stop them doing that probably within something like 10 years.
    As we Civ players know, you just have to have the right sort of government in place - and China has that government...

Comment

What minerals does the moon have that aren't already readily available on Earth?

Comment

Tritium, which technically isn't a mineral.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I'd be more concerned about their inevitable space weaponry capabilities. He who controls the sky controls the land.

Comment

Oooh. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
              What minerals does the moon have that aren't already readily available on Earth?
              Tiberium
              My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
                Helium-3 is the main lunar resource people are talking about: China's 1st Moon Rover Begins Its Exploration --Will It Find Helium-3?

Comment

There will be moon conservation groups before there will be moon mining.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

If any resources are found, and financially profitable ways to recover them also developed there will be a mad scramble from business interests and various governments to get a piece of the pie. So China will not be lonely up there.
                    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      Tritium, which technically isn't a mineral.
                      Plenty to be had via any operational LWR. As an example, DOE has bids out to a number of commercial power plants for tritium.

China has plenty of nukes capable of supply.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

What about He-3, then?

I wish them every success, if only to get our own asses moving.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I, for one, welcome our new over.....

Wait, that would be me.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            What about He-3, then?

I wish them every success, if only to get our own asses moving.
                            I have no idea. He-3 for fusion purposes?? Seems since there has yet to be a viable safe fusion reactor, choice of Tritium vs He-3 as a fusion fuel seems rather moot.

BTW - Mobys article about the search for He-3 is craptacularly poor.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

It's not my article. Just one I randomly linked to.

Comment

Working...
                              X