No announcement yet.

The 13 Biggest Nutrition and Food Myths Busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest myth about food is that the ingredient list on the side of the package is everything that's in the food. There are so many things manufactures put in that there are no laws about and so they're allowed to get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      It spends less energy metabolizing it because our bodies are built to optimize its use. We're fruit eaters, from way back, and fructose is fruit sugar. Hence the name. It's one of the most "natural" things we can put in us.
      With this line of reasoning, breathing pure oxygen at 1atm should be a great idea. (Hint: it's not)
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        I'm in a public speaking class this semester to knock out a communications elective requirement and jesus christ so many of my classmates have spoken on bogus nutritional topics it's making me furious. A few days ago one of the students gave her persuasive speech assignment on why drinking milk is unnatural and you shouldn't do it. Basically it boiled down to "it's all a scam by big business" and an argument identical to the one that people make about homosexuality being a crime against nature (it's unnatural, no other animals drink another animal's milk).

During the comments period I asked if people drinking milk and eating cheese 3000 years ago was due to big business. "Well...I guess not."

I've also heard about the benefits of gluten-free diets, yoga (twice), and veganism.
        Ugh. My sister is into all this macrobiotic crap.

Latest link sent: sea salt is better for you than mineral salt. Why? Because sea salt comes from the sea, and back when we were cells living in the sea, so sea salt has the 'right' balance of minerals our organism is used to.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          “Your body can’t use the protein from beans unless you eat them with rice.”

lolwut
          Its based on the idea that to get a complete protein, you need the amino acids in rice to compliment the ones on beans. But strictly speaking, taking a protein supplement that has all the amino acids would accomplish the same thing.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
            Ugh. My sister is into all this macrobiotic crap.

Latest link sent: sea salt is better for you than mineral salt. Why? Because sea salt comes from the sea, and back when we were cells living in the sea, so sea salt has the 'right' balance of minerals our organism is used to.
            Naturalistic fallacies in nutrition? No way!
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

(what makes me angrier is that ****ing mineral salt usually represents the mineral composition of the ocean when it got separated from it, which is closer to the mineral composition of the 'primordial ocean' than the ocean nowadays)
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

What should make you angry is that it's all the same ****ing chemical. NaCl. There's no difference at all. Sometimes they throw a little iodine in there, but that's really good for you so you shouldn't complain.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yes, NaCl = NaCl. However, mineral salt and sea salt are similar but not exactly the same.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                  X