• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 13 Biggest Nutrition and Food Myths Busted

1. "Eggs are bad for your heart.”
    2. “High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is worse for you than sugar.”
    3. “Carbohydrates make you fat.”
    4. “A raw-food diet provides enzymes that are essential to healthy digestion.”
    5. “Your body can’t use the protein from beans unless you eat them with rice.”
    6. “Calories eaten at night are more fattening than those eaten early in the day.”
    7. “I have a weight problem because I eat foods like wheat or dairy that my body can’t process.”
    8. “Radiation from microwaves creates dangerous compounds in your food.”
    9. “Microwaving zaps nutrients.”
    10. “You crave certain foods because you’re deficient in one of the nutrients they provide.”
    11. “Grazing on mini meals throughout the day keeps your metabolism stoked and helps you control your weight better than eating fewer, larger meals.”
    12. "It’s important to fast periodically, to cleanse toxins from your body."
    13. “Anyone can benefit from a gluten-free diet: it can give you more energy and even treat autism.”

The things some people will believe......

"Carbohydrates make you fat" isn't strictly wrong, in fairness.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I see the article is much more even-handed than the bullet points so have no problem with it.

(Though they forget the worst effects of HFCS on our health ... which are indirect due to lower gross product and increased environmental damage around the world due to interference in the free market by protectionist policies for domestic corn production.)

Comment

Hmm.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

“Your body can’t use the protein from beans unless you eat them with rice.”

lolwut

Comment

The cholesterol in eggs doesn't get turned into blood cholesterol. So that's true.

#2 is demonstrably true.

I'm not sure the point of this thread. I guess it was a troll?

Because a person that said one crazy thing... that means everything they say is false? Or something?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...d_myths_busted
              1. "Eggs are bad for your heart.”
              2. “High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is worse for you than sugar.”
              3. “Carbohydrates make you fat.”
              4. “A raw-food diet provides enzymes that are essential to healthy digestion.”
              5. “Your body can’t use the protein from beans unless you eat them with rice.”
              6. “Calories eaten at night are more fattening than those eaten early in the day.”
              7. “I have a weight problem because I eat foods like wheat or dairy that my body can’t process.”
              8. “Radiation from microwaves creates dangerous compounds in your food.”
              9. “Microwaving zaps nutrients.”
              10. “You crave certain foods because you’re deficient in one of the nutrients they provide.”
              11. “Grazing on mini meals throughout the day keeps your metabolism stoked and helps you control your weight better than eating fewer, larger meals.”
              12. "It’s important to fast periodically, to cleanse toxins from your body."
              13. “Anyone can benefit from a gluten-free diet: it can give you more energy and even treat autism.”

The things some people will believe......
              I'd be surprised if 10 was totally untrue. For instance, animals use salt licks.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                The cholesterol in eggs doesn't get turned into blood cholesterol. So that's true.

#2 is demonstrably true.

I'm not sure the point of this thread. I guess it was a troll?

Because a person that said one crazy thing... that means everything they say is false? Or something?
                "2 is demonstrably true".

Please elaborate, ****.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm in a public speaking class this semester to knock out a communications elective requirement and jesus christ so many of my classmates have spoken on bogus nutritional topics it's making me furious. A few days ago one of the students gave her persuasive speech assignment on why drinking milk is unnatural and you shouldn't do it. Basically it boiled down to "it's all a scam by big business" and an argument identical to the one that people make about homosexuality being a crime against nature (it's unnatural, no other animals drink another animal's milk).

During the comments period I asked if people drinking milk and eating cheese 3000 years ago was due to big business. "Well...I guess not."

I've also heard about the benefits of gluten-free diets, yoga (twice), and veganism.

Comment

HFCS, in laboratory tests, causes a much quicker and higher blood sugar spike than other sugars.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So it metabolizes faster? So what? Unless you're diabetic that isn't an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        I'm in a public speaking class this semester to knock out a communications elective requirement and jesus christ so many of my classmates have spoken on bogus nutritional topics it's making me furious. A few days ago one of the students gave her persuasive speech assignment on why drinking milk is unnatural and you shouldn't do it. Basically it boiled down to "it's all a scam by big business" and an argument identical to the one that people make about homosexuality being a crime against nature (it's unnatural, no other animals drink another animal's milk).

During the comments period I asked if people drinking milk and eating cheese 3000 years ago was due to big business. "Well...I guess not."

I've also heard about the benefits of gluten-free diets, yoga (twice), and veganism.
                        Yoga helps with relaxation, is exercise, and has lots of women in tight pants
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes obviously the women part is beneficial to my, er, mental wellness but the spiritual nonsense is just that.

Comment

So it metabolizes faster? So what? Unless you're diabetic that isn't an issue.
                            Your body spends so much less energy metabolizing it.

I'm not a biology teacher. Maybe google "blood sugar" and learn how it affects the body.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

but the spiritual nonsense is just that.
                              agree
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X