No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on inheritances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on inheritances?

In general I've always had the most guttural reaction against "trust fund babies" (versus the working rich). But looking at my son and thinking about the difference between retiring at 45 (leaving a small inheritance) and retiring at 55 (leaving enough that he and his children will never want for anything) I am torn.

What should my framework be? Has he lowered my discount rate? Is he my incentive to continue working beyond the scope of self-interest?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Is happiness the freedom from want or the accomplishment of freeing oneself from want?
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't have strong feelings on inheritances, but don't retire at 45. You'll be completely bored before you're 60 and will still have 30+ years of life to suffer through.
      I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Comment

I figure I will become a serial killer and try to hit a high score (joke).

Not 100% certain I am not a psychopath, BTW (serious). Poor impulse control, thrill seeking, fearless dominance, social assertiveness, poor empathy. I think I may just be a less pathological version of same.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't have a problem with inheritances, but from a parenting perspective it's a really bad idea to give too much to your kids. They won't learn work ethic.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Are you talking about personal feelings/thoughts on the matter? Or what we think is better for public policy?

Rich kids are jag offs. Make the bastards work for what they have. If they have some sort of emotional issues, then sure... help em out. Otherwise, they have more than enough of an advantage.

Retiring is a big change. If you can tolerate what you do without having to fight the urge to blow your brains out, don't be so quick to throw in the towel. My grandfather worked until he was 90... until he died of cancer.

You seem to make a good living. If you don't hate it, stick with it.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              Not 100% certain I am not a psychopath, BTW (serious). Poor impulse control, thrill seeking, fearless dominance, social assertiveness, poor empathy. I think I may just be a less pathological version of same.
              You're perfect for finance.

Comment

I was nicknamed Canadian Psychopath recently.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  I don't have a problem with inheritances, but from a parenting perspective it's a really bad idea to give too much to your kids. They won't learn work ethic.
                  You fail at reading.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Is happiness the freedom from want or the accomplishment of freeing oneself from want?
                    twilight zone - a gangster thinks he's in heaven because he cant lose at anything and at the end its driving him nuts and the angel (jolly fat dude, no red coat) says, "where did you think you were?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      Are you talking about personal feelings/thoughts on the matter? Or what we think is better for public policy?

Rich kids are jag offs. Make the bastards work for what they have. If they have some sort of emotional issues, then sure... help em out. Otherwise, they have more than enough of an advantage.

Retiring is a big change. If you can tolerate what you do without having to fight the urge to blow your brains out, don't be so quick to throw in the towel. My grandfather worked until he was 90... until he died of cancer.

You seem to make a good living. If you don't hate it, stick with it.
                      But why would I keep working if I couldn't pass it on? I am not a good enough person to work for charity.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Happiness is neither of things. You can have unsatisfied desires and still feel happy.

Comment

Add an extra derivative to each. What is your judgement now?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

But why would I keep working if I couldn't pass it on?
                            To run up the score.

Comment

That is a possibility.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X