Forbes: Wal-Mart shoots self in foot, decides health care is good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava View Post
    HC has reading comprehension issues. The "it's killing jobs" talking point is so drilled into his head, he can't see past it.
    to be fair to HC, most of apolyton has reading comprehension problems.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I suspect the poor sales trends attribution to poor service for Walmart is overstated. The article is rife with anecdote but little supporting data. More likely is the fact that real wages continue to decline. While Walmart was considered the low end price store and initially was fairly recession proof as upper and middle class started shoppping there, as the real wages continued their decline, shoppers have moved onto even crappier stores like ALDI, Dollar General, Big Lots, thrift stores etc. to meet their needs given their constrained budgets.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

and all because rich people don't want to pay taxes
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I...wouldn't include ALDI in that.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
            I suspect the poor sales trends attribution to poor service for Walmart is overstated. The article is rife with anecdote but little supporting data. More likely is the fact that real wages continue to decline. While Walmart was considered the low end price store and initially was fairly recession proof as upper and middle class started shoppping there, as the real wages continued their decline, shoppers have moved onto even crappier stores like ALDI, Dollar General, Big Lots, thrift stores etc. to meet their needs given their constrained budgets.
            We do have the comparison with Home Depot in the article.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Which is what made me question the premise in the first place. Nardelli put a virtual freeze on store expansions while his competitors did not. It allowed Lowes et.al. prime real estate for store frachises that canabalized Home Depot sales. I'm not saying poor service doesn't translate to lower sales but the conclusions this article makes are not fact based.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'm not sure what percentage labor costs a lot of these stores had. Years ago when I managed a pizza hut, 20% was our target. Assuming a $2k per employee cost (the penalty for companies that don't offer insurance)... even if employees are making $20k, that's only a 10% increase. Overall, that means labor goes from 20% to 22%... assuming they pay the penalty for every single employee.

I'm sorry, but if the profit margins are that slim, those businesses were in trouble anyways. A 2% cost increase isn't the end of the world. I'm sure the fluctuation in oil prices (affecting fuel costs) is more a disruption than Obamacare would be.

And that's worst case scenario.

Sorry, but the "killing jobs" talking point just doesn't add up.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  Meanwhile, 99.99% of everything sold at WalMart is made by someone who's healthcare consists solely of netting to keep them from going splat on sidewalks ...
                  Riiight, if your life is not as bad as someone living in some third world ****hole you clearly have no right to complain...

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Riiight, if your life is not as bad as someone living in some third world ****hole you clearly have no right to complain...
                    So nobody is allowed to complain about anything unless they live in a third world ****hole?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                      Which is what made me question the premise in the first place. Nardelli put a virtual freeze on store expansions while his competitors did not. It allowed Lowes et.al. prime real estate for store frachises that canabalized Home Depot sales. I'm not saying poor service doesn't translate to lower sales but the conclusions this article makes are not fact based.
                      Home Depot also has a ****ty store layout across all stores compared to lowes
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

So nobody is allowed to complain about anything unless they live in a third world ****hole?
                        No, only conservative pencil dicks who think rocking the boat is the worst thing ever and everyone should just shut up and keep their head down. those *******s should move to third world countries.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The better comparison to Walmart would be Costco.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I'm not sure what percentage labor costs a lot of these stores had. Years ago when I managed a pizza hut, 20% was our target. Assuming a $2k per employee cost (the penalty for companies that don't offer insurance)... even if employees are making $20k, that's only a 10% increase. Overall, that means labor goes from 20% to 22%... assuming they pay the penalty for every single employee.

I'm sorry, but if the profit margins are that slim, those businesses were in trouble anyways. A 2% cost increase isn't the end of the world. I'm sure the fluctuation in oil prices (affecting fuel costs) is more a disruption than Obamacare would be.

And that's worst case scenario.

Sorry, but the "killing jobs" talking point just doesn't add up.
                            Retail and distribution typically operate on very thin margins. A 2% increase in costs actually sounds like a big deal to me.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                              No, only conservative pencil dicks who think rocking the boat is the worst thing ever and everyone should just shut up and keep their head down. those *******s should move to third world countries.
                              Agree.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                                Retail and distribution typically operate on very thin margins. A 2% increase in costs actually sounds like a big deal to me.
                                From what I've read, Wal-Mart's profit margin is about 4%. I couldn't find figures on their labor costs. But regardless... for the sake of argument, let's say Obamacare would cost them the maximum in that worst case scenario. To offset that, they could raise prices 2% across the board.

That package of toilet paper that costs $9.99... well, now it's 20 cents more! And everyone gets health care!

OH THE HUMANITY

20 CENTS

HOW WILL THEY EVRE SURVIVE?!?!?!
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X