No announcement yet.

Pope sends direct message to Ben

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly. And electrical engineering is easy, and a classic practical hobby. There are tons of shops supporting it. Why would that be the example you'd pick?
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

• College is stupid... the value of getting a college degree represents a failing on the part of society.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
        Exactly. And electrical engineering is easy, and a classic practical hobby. There are tons of shops supporting it. Why would that be the example you'd pick?
        I'm not talking about putting 555 timers on a breadboard. You don't design microarchitectures as a hobby.

Engineering degrees are about building actual human capital, not some philosophical humbling to respect your own ignorance. Maybe that's a side benefit. Regardless, for example, I'm learning things in my CS classes to apply later in my career.

A senior in ECE at carnegie mellon isn't doing things that are "easy" or can just be picked up from surfing wikipedia.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Sure, just keep telling yourself that.

Comment

• I know I shouldn't have said easy. Can't resist taunting the engineers.

Rest of the point still stands though. Computer history is full of enthusiastic self taught amateurs (many of whom of course turned pro), not many Computer Science graduates in the 70s.
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              I'm not talking about putting 555 timers on a breadboard. You don't design microarchitectures as a hobby.

Engineering degrees are about building actual human capital, not some philosophical humbling to respect your own ignorance. Maybe that's a side benefit. Regardless, for example, I'm learning things in my CS classes to apply later in my career.

A senior in ECE at carnegie mellon isn't doing things that are "easy" or can just be picked up from surfing wikipedia.
              You don't design microarchitectures with only a BS in electrical engineering, either.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Just had a look at wikipedia on microarchitectures as with most science and engineering stuff on wikipedia it's a very good starting point.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

I've got a degree in Astrophysics. I think the main point of an undergraduate degree is to give you an insight into how much there is to know, and little you know about a subject.
                  I think there is some truth there. I also believe that one of the great benefits of an undergraduate degree is teaching someone how to think...a trait so many in society lack.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• I think most schooling is like that -- or should be. Why do you need to study calculus? So you can wrap your brain around other difficult to understand things when they come up.

Comment

• You need to study calculus so you can understand the mathematics behind a great number of engineering and scientific disciplines

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        You don't design microarchitectures with only a BS in electrical engineering, either.
                        Some of my friends working at Intel would be interested to hear from you that they're not actually designing microarchitectures.

Comment

I know I shouldn't have said easy. Can't resist taunting the engineers.

Rest of the point still stands though. Computer history is full of enthusiastic self taught amateurs (many of whom of course turned pro), not many Computer Science graduates in the 70s.
                          You can learn a lot of computer science on your own, but that doesn't mean that the university isn't providing a valuable service. There will probably be significant gaps in your knowledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                            I think there is some truth there. I also believe that one of the great benefits of an undergraduate degree is teaching someone how to think...a trait so many in society lack.
                            Didn't work so well with Ben...

Comment

I know I shouldn't have said easy. Can't resist taunting the engineers.
                              But it's so much fun when they get their hackles up! How can you resist?

Comment

• I'll admit that the more technical a field the more likely that school will be more helpful, but it still isn't the ultimate. Experience can trump formal education.

BUT we were talking about a history degree. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X