Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    No, they were in the UK.
    Stockton to Darlington and Manchester to Liverpool. My other half is a steam railway enthusiast and a devotee of industrial archaeology, as well as being a member of the Blaenau Ffestiniog and Tywyn railways:

I have a friend who works on the Bluebell Line too....

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

The Blaenau Ffestiniog line is fantastic, especially when linked with a trip to Portmeirion...

Snowdonia.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Wow, there's four steam railways in South Wales alone I can think of that aren't mentioned on that website, that makes at least 14 steam railways in Wales at least!
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
          Thanks. That's the bit I wasn't sure about, but given how the rest of reg's post was so completely wrong... I guess it's down to the fact that nobody actually travels on trains in the US, thus leaving the way clear for freight over long distances, which actually makes loads of sense!

Rail freight is making a big comeback (relatively) in the UK in recent years. In Wales the railways are used extensively in this capacity (steel, timber, coal exports etc) and there are a number of lines that aren't open to the public expressly serving those industries.
          American freight rail was liberalised 3 decades ago, since when prices halved and productivity exploded. They've been trying to do the same in the EU but progress has been patchy.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            No, they were in the UK.
            My bad. I'm absolutely certain about the passenger/freight distribution on rail/air in the US versus EU though. Passenger rail can't really take off in the US because the freight traffic, which is frankly way more profitable, hogs the lines and goes way slower. You'd really have to have two different sets of tracks for it to be efficient. Low population density and the fact that our cities aren't easily connected on a line topology are other major problems that will probably always prevent successful long distance rail passenger transport outside of the northeast and possibly coastal California.

Comment

It turns out that planes make a lot more sense. Lower costs, higher speeds. Infrastructure is expensive, and having people sit in a box doing nothing while it moves across the continent for a week is very expensive.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Every time I play OpenTTD, I just end up derping around until the first high capacity jets become available.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I got the mod that gives you V-22 ospreys in 2004, and that makes helicopters profitable

Trains are just too much hassle to keep from crashing into each other, though they are useful for making a supercollider to destroy your competitors' road vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    though they are useful for making a supercollider to destroy your competitors' road vehicles.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                    X