DOVE HUNTING TEXAS - September Dove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    Until they hit a bone and shatter. Oh, and lead shot is also the leading cause of death for condors and vultures as they eat the carcases hunters shoot but can't find (or can't be bothered to collect) and then die of lead poisoning. Eliminate the use of lead in bullets and I'm fine with this.
    I don't think we have condors in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
      murder isn't a sport

you guys should be locked up
      There's a 95% chance you're just trolling as usual, but what the hell: this kind of objection doesn't make much sense, provided they're actually eating the animal. Any given animal in the wild will enjoy a considerably higher quality of life than its equivalent in a modern industrialized "farm." If you get to choose between eating

A. an animal that roamed free, enjoyed fresh air and sunshine and ate what it liked or
      B. eating an animal that lived out its whole life confined to an unsanitary pen, eating homogenous processed feed that doesn't even suit its metabolism (omnivorous chickens get soy pellets, four-stomached ruminant cows get corn, etc.)

A. would seem to be no-brainer from an "ethical treatment" POV, even if it isn't practical on a large scale for modern civilization. Especially given that, without hunting, animals tend to overpopulate and die miserably from starvation, disease or car impacts anyway. That hunters enjoy shooting doesn't seem pertinent. I've never met a hunter who seemed actually sadistic; it seems to be more of an excuse to hang out in the woods drinking beer and shooting for most of them.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
        I don't think we have condors in Texas.
        Because of all the lead shot they ate.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Doesn't seem to have hurt the vulture population.

Comment

Vultures aren't radioactive.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
              Vultures aren't radioactive.

ACK!
              Is that a fact?

I remember when I was a young teen, me and my friends would lay in a field on our backs playing dead to watch the vultures circle real low.
              If you were real still and quite they would land just a few feet away.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                There's a 95% chance you're just trolling as usual, but what the hell: this kind of objection doesn't make much sense, provided they're actually eating the animal. Any given animal in the wild will enjoy a considerably higher quality of life than its equivalent in a modern industrialized "farm." If you get to choose between eating

A. an animal that roamed free, enjoyed fresh air and sunshine and ate what it liked or
                B. eating an animal that lived out its whole life confined to an unsanitary pen, eating homogenous processed feed that doesn't even suit its metabolism (omnivorous chickens get soy pellets, four-stomached ruminant cows get corn, etc.)

A. would seem to be no-brainer from an "ethical treatment" POV, even if it isn't practical on a large scale for modern civilization. Especially given that, without hunting, animals tend to overpopulate and die miserably from starvation, disease or car impacts anyway. That hunters enjoy shooting doesn't seem pertinent. I've never met a hunter who seemed actually sadistic; it seems to be more of an excuse to hang out in the woods drinking beer and shooting for most of them.
                Anyone who is drinking while hunting should have his hunting permit revoked.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                Bah, the thing is small enough and already moving fast so aim for center mass or don't bother to pull the trigger. Besides, with bird shot you get a wide scatter of the pellets so it's not like you're going to hit it in just one spot.
                It's not as hard as you'd think; the wings make up a huge portion of the cross section and ideally you aim the "cone" of shot, essentially, a little away from the center of mass so you hit the wing with the edge of the shot pattern. This can be easier or harder depending on your gun and the type of ammunition you're using.

A lot of bird hunting is with steel shot by the way. I don't know if that's required in Texas, and grouse/pigeon/dove hunting in particular is least likely to ban lead shot, but most high quality hunting ammo for shotguns that I've encountered has been steel.

Comment

Working...
                X