No announcement yet.

I got questions about disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prilosec OTC is the same as Prilosec prescription. If you have break through episodes have some Mylanta Ultimate strenght on stack and take 2 tablespoons every 4 hours as needed. Lifestyle measres that are effective include distributing your food intake evenly between 3 or 4 meals, avoid foods you think aggravate your heartburn, don't lie down within 2 hours of eating. Sometimes it's necessary to elevate the entire head of the bed by putting cement blocks under the feet at the head of the bed. If your reflux isn't well controlled after 6 weeks go back to your doctor, you may need to be evaluated to see if you have another esophageal disease, like Barrett's esophagus, esophageal varicies, esophageal diverticuli, etc., etc.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

thx Doc

what do you think about cpap machines, sleep apnea and acid reflux?

Comment

If you got sleep apnea, use the machine. Take your Prilosec. Do what we tell you. Pay your bills promptly.

Comment

CPAP machines are a major pain in the ass to get used to. You have to train yourself to breath all over again, and you have to get used to the pressure. Many fail at one or the other.

That being said, they will quite literally save your life. Your cardio-vascular system is supposed to be resting while you sleep. Sleep apnea denies your ticker it's time off as it will work overtime to make up for oxygen shortages when you stop breathing.

Use it. It took me six months to get used to it. Napping with it helped a lot.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
            CPAP machines are a major pain in the ass to get used to. You have to train yourself to breath all over again, and you have to get used to the pressure. Many fail at one or the other.

That being said, they will quite literally save your life. Your cardio-vascular system is supposed to be resting while you sleep. Sleep apnea denies your ticker it's time off as it will work overtime to make up for oxygen shortages when you stop breathing.

Use it. It took me six months to get used to it. Napping with it helped a lot.

It is extremly bothersome to get used to, particulary the exhaling against backpressure. OTOH if you don't use it, if the heart attack doesn't get you, falling asleep at the wheel of your car will.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

new CPAP machines are smart and reduce the pressure when you exhale.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Cutting out the vast majority of alcohol consumption was one of the best things I've ever done for my health.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I have used a CPAP for 15 years. Can't sleep without it now.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Jesus, a federal law requires a prescription for a cpap machine

I'm looking into it anyway

Comment

Thank you Oblama
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post

That sounds odd, but there're a couple of things that can go wrong with them. Too much pressure can be bad, and if you get a humidified model make sure you only use distilled water.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post

Have you had an overnight sleep test?

Comment

A lot of the prescription/nonprescription things have to do with companies lobbying, and with the FDA having a legitimate interest in people not being scammed - ie, you can imagine commercials "You need a CPAP machine now!" and people going and just buying one without talking to a doctor.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

And all it really takes is one death at the hands of a CPAP machine before you hear the sanctimonious "why didnt the FDA do something to stop this?"
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

How is a CPAP machine a food or drug?
                                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                                X