Curious question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious question.

I was wondering, those of you who are anti-gun would feel the same way if it were lasers/phaser/blasters ( what ever they are called )
    Would you pass up the opportunity to have one of these futuristic weapons?
    What if light sabers were real and a group was wanting them banned. Would you still go along with the ban? Even still they were used in crime?

lol good luck keeping your truck safe from "******s" (as you call them) with light sabers.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      lol good luck keeping your truck safe from "******s" (as you call them) with light sabers.

Your point?
      The lasers/phaser/blaster would work.
      I'm just asking a question gribbler.

If being horney is making you ornery? go jerk off.

Comment

Speaking as someone who is in the middle on gun control but personally does not own a gun and does not want to, I think the issue is not with the specifics of the weapon; it is with two things.
        1. The ease by which such a weapon can be used to kill someone
        2. The danger even a legally owned weapon poses, in terms of accidental shootings, children, etc.

I combine those two, and compare the degree to which I think guns have benefits to the dangers in those. I tend to be ambivalent - I'm okay with some gun control, but I don't argue for it - because I think it's pretty moot. Odds are gun control wouldn't reduce my risk substantially (criminals have easy access and will for the forseeable future) but they wouldn't really improve things for me either (I don't have one and don't want one, largely because of 2 plus the very low chance I'd actually be able to use one to defend myself). Gun control does have the benefit of allowing the police to arrest criminals for something that is easy to prove (possession of a weapon) when they otherwise might not be able to arrest them, so that's a plus, but then again that's letting the police selectively enforce laws, which is a minus. I don't believe gun control is "all that is standing between us and the government takeover", particularly as we're a democracy (ish) and that is (theoretically) one of the advantages thereof. Basically I don't believe any of the rhetoric of either side (or consider it a positive).

But no, I would not want to own a phaser or a laser gun or a lightsaber. Perhaps if some technology were to make it so it were completely safe in terms of children and such, I might consider it (ie, DNA locking or something); but as it stands, there's no way I could have a gun accessible enough to defend me from the limited kinds of crime that might occur but be inaccessible enough that there were no risk for my (very young) children. Even very, very safe and careful people make mistakes sometimes, and it only takes one. If I can accidentally leave the garage open overnight, I'm sure I could accidentally leave a round in the chamber.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
          Speaking as someone who is in the middle on gun control but personally does not own a gun and does not want to, I think the issue is not with the specifics of the weapon; it is with two things.
          1. The ease by which such a weapon can be used to kill someone
          2. The danger even a legally owned weapon poses, in terms of accidental shootings, children, etc.

I combine those two, and compare the degree to which I think guns have benefits to the dangers in those. I tend to be ambivalent - I'm okay with some gun control, but I don't argue for it - because I think it's pretty moot. Odds are gun control wouldn't reduce my risk substantially (criminals have easy access and will for the forseeable future) but they wouldn't really improve things for me either (I don't have one and don't want one, largely because of 2 plus the very low chance I'd actually be able to use one to defend myself). Gun control does have the benefit of allowing the police to arrest criminals for something that is easy to prove (possession of a weapon) when they otherwise might not be able to arrest them, so that's a plus, but then again that's letting the police selectively enforce laws, which is a minus. I don't believe gun control is "all that is standing between us and the government takeover", particularly as we're a democracy (ish) and that is (theoretically) one of the advantages thereof. Basically I don't believe any of the rhetoric of either side (or consider it a positive).

But no, I would not want to own a phaser or a laser gun or a lightsaber. Perhaps if some technology were to make it so it were completely safe in terms of children and such, I might consider it (ie, DNA locking or something); but as it stands, there's no way I could have a gun accessible enough to defend me from the limited kinds of crime that might occur but be inaccessible enough that there were no risk for my (very young) children. Even very, very safe and careful people make mistakes sometimes, and it only takes one. If I can accidentally leave the garage open overnight, I'm sure I could accidentally leave a round in the chamber.

TY for your comment.
          I see your point.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
            Your point?
            The lasers/phaser/blaster would work.
            I'm just asking a question gribbler.

If being horney is making you ornery? go jerk off.
            I would like to point out that Doc did not disagree with the assertion that that is what he "[calls] them".
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              I would like to point out that Doc did not disagree with the assertion that that is what he "[calls] them".
              So?

Whats your point?

Comment

Black , brown , white, yellow, green and purple. " ******s" are about the person and there ant-social attitude tword society not the color of there skin.
                Sorry to disappoint you.
                If you took the time to read my post then you wouldn't look so stupid trying to point out my faults.
                Get a life dude!

Comment

I'm ok with light sabers, but not blasters. So uncivilized.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    I'm ok with light sabers, but not blasters. So uncivilized.

Comment

I can't wait for the advent of mass produced energy weapons.

US society is going to get sooo much more exciting.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You mean like tasers?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          You mean like tasers?
                          Tasers require a wire to be functional.
                          Need like a phaser with a stun setting.
                          I could have fun and enjoy stunning some people I don't like.

Comment

You mean like tasers?
                            Inadequate range and not lethal enough.

I mean really, it would be hard to shoot up a school with a taser.

You need to make is useable by the kids for it to be a hit.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You mean like tasers?
                              Owen: [after Patches O'Houlihan has been killed] Look on the bright side, at least we've still got Peter!

Dwight: Yeah, but Globo Gym's got guys named Laser, and Blazer, and Tazer, and all kinds of "azer's"! Without Patches, we're going to get our taints handed to us, that's what!

Justin: [Whispers to Gordon] What's a taint?

Gordon: I don't know, but it sounds *bad*!
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X