X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRA announce that lead poisoning is an evil liberal myth

Originally posted by HP
    National Rifle Association Enemies List Now Includes Scientists, Zoos

WASHINGTON -- In a move bizarrely reminiscent of its "anti-gun" enemies list, the National Rifle Association announced a new plan Friday to target scientists, environmental groups, government regulators and individuals who favor banning the use of lead in gun ammunition.

The targeted attacks are part of Hunt for Truth.org, a newly revamped effort by the nation's largest gun lobby to block attempts to regulate the use of lead in bullets. Regulations have been proposed in some states after studies have shown that millions of birds -- most notably the highly endangered California condor -- are dying of lead poisoning after ingesting lead bullet fragments.

The Center for Biological Diversity, an environmental group, estimates that hunters in the United States shoot more than 3,000 tons of lead into the outdoors every year, and that as many as 20 million birds die annually from lead poisoning.

To the NRA, however, the proposed bans on lead in bullets represent an "assault" on "traditional" hunting and on hunters' rights.

"Anti-lead ammunition groups will not rest until all lead ammunition, and ultimately hunting, is banned," the gun lobby claimed in a Friday press release.

The NRA singled out a law under consideration in California which would require hunters in the Golden State to use lead-free ammunition. Lead free bullets are widely available from top manufacturers, and have not been shown to function any differently than bullets containing the highly toxic element.

In order to rally its members to oppose the lead regulation, the NRA described a conspiracy theory involving crooked scientists, phony research, and a shadowy network of nonprofits, zoos and government agencies all conspiring to ban hunting.

According to the NRA, an "activist portion of the scientific community" has formed "a highly organized network of like minded researchers with an agenda to ban lead ammunition." In order to thwart this looming threat, "Hunt for Truth will expose the researchers associated with 'faulty science' critical of lead ammunition," the gun lobby says.

Scientists aren't the NRA's only new targets. Nonprofits like the San Diego Zoo and the California Condor Recovery Team are also on the enemies list. The NRA claims these groups "have considerable influence over many legislators and regulators," which they use to "capture" the regulatory agencies and bureaucrats responsible for lead ammunition restrictions.

"Under this capture theory, NGO’s, legislators, regulatory agencies and researchers work in concert to implement policies and regulations to ban traditional ammunition," the NRA alleges.

As of Monday, the NRA had yet to list any scientists it planned to target, but there were seven environmental and wildlife conservation groups on the site, including the National Resources Defense Council and the Center for Biological Diversity. Four government agencies were also singled out: the Arizona Game and Fish Department, the California Department of Fish and Game, the Los Angeles Zoo and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

A spokesman for the NRA declined to comment on the listings.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...p_ref=politics

How long has lead been used for bullets?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

About 500 years, why do you ask?

Comment

Must be a lot of dead condors, then.

Comment

Clearly not something that the NRA is losing much sleep over...
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            Must be a lot of dead condors, then.
            Dude, seriously...?

You don't think there might just be quite a lot more guns and especially guns firing high rates of ammunition than there were say 500 years ago? Also, since when was 'well we've always ****ed something up' a good excuse for continuing to do so? Can you even begin to explain why phasing out lead bullets is not a completely goddamn obvious thing to do, given that we now know how horrendously dangerous lead can be?

Oh and here's some fun science, lead from petrol could well have been responsible for high crime rates.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...ld-398151.html

Gee, I guess it's wildly implausible that putting 3000 tons of it a year into the air might have a negative impact on wildlife.

Actually **** all that, just tell me why you personally think banning lead in bullets is a bad thing.

Comment

How Lead Affects Birds
              Affects of Lead Poisoning on Birds

By Melissa Mayntz, About.com Guide

Kevin Collins

Lead poisoning is one of the most insidious threats to birds of prey, waterfowl and game birds, and it takes very little contamination to lead to illness, debilitation or death. By understanding how lead affects birds, birders can take steps to end this type of horrific environmental contamination.
              Sources of Lead Contamination

While lead contamination sources that may easily affect humans have largely been eliminated, there are several sources that continue to pose a threat to birds and other wildlife. Lead in the environment may come from…

Fishing tackle, including lead lures and sinkers
              Bullets and shotgun pellets
              Paint chips or improperly disposed lead-based paint
              Discarded batteries
              Pesticides
              Mining wastes and byproducts
              Spills of leaded gasoline
              Old pennies or other lead materials

Because even a small amount of lead can be highly toxic to the birds, the smallest source of contamination can be a significant threat.
              Birds Affected by Lead Contamination

All bird species are at risk from different types of lead poisoning, but certain types of birds have been found to suffer more from the most prominent sources of lead.

Waterfowl: Loons, swans, geese and ducks not only may suffer from lead poisoning if they are shot with lead ammunition, but lost or discarded fishing tackle can be inadvertently consumed and lead to poisoning.

Birds of Prey: Eagles, vultures and condors are at the greatest risk of lead poisoning, most commonly from ingesting lead-based ammunition from carrion and carcasses left behind by irresponsible hunters.

Game Birds: Game birds hunted with lead-based ammunition can suffer from lead poisoning if they are wounded but not killed, and doves and quail may accidentally consume discarded lead shotgun pellets as grit for their digestive system.

First hit. Ammunition is just one possible source, and and of course the number one cause of birds getting lead poisoning is by being shot with it. Another mentioned source is spent shot, not "bullet fragments".

I have to look further, but I could have sworn that steel shot for hunting is required by Federal law now.

Comment

especially guns firing high rates of ammunition than there were say 500 years ago?
                ...in California?

Gee, I guess it's wildly implausible that putting 3000 tons of it a year into the air might have a negative impact on wildlife.
                Oh, I have no doubt about that.

Comment

TMM: your own article specifically states that birds of prey, including the condors we're talking about, are at the greatest risk.

Here is an article that specifically shows why lead from spent ammunition is the principal threat to California Condors: California Condors face 'epidemic' lead poisoning, finds study

Seems really difficult to argue against banning lead in hunting ammunition after reading that...

Comment

Lead poisoning, yes, but to say that ammunition is the major cause is overstating it.

Comment

Yes lots of things can introduce lead to the environment, but adding an additional 3000 tons, much of it out in the natural habitats of the wildlife is a big negative, especially when it's introducing lead into the food chain for some quite vulnerable species.

Who cares if it's the 'major cause'? It's something that could easily be fixed without harming pretty much anyone, and which would help show that gun owners aren't just selfish dicks.

Comment

I will look further into it, but the whole "unchanged in 30 years" line, given Cali's gun laws, is rather hard to believe.

Comment

Especially that 3000 tons line.

Comment

California lead ammo hunting ban ignites controversy

FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- A new push to expand a lead ammo ban statewide is creating controversy.

Environmentalists say it will protect critically endangered California condors. Gun rights advocates worry it would create a virtual ban on hunting.

The use of lead in ammunition is already prohibited in the main California condor range between San Jose and Los Angeles.

The ban is supposed to help in the comeback of North America's largest land bird, which three decades ago, had declined to just 22. But lead is still the leading cause of death to the California Condor.

"The cost of treating lead poisoning and wildlife reach hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for both public and private entities here in California," said Jennifer Fearing of The Humane Society of the U.S.

A spirited debate awaits the Senate when it returns from summer break over whether the prohibition should be extended throughout the entire state.

Researchers found when farmers kill nuisance animals or hunters leave behind their prey, condors will ingest lead bullets and fragments while eating the carcasses and die.

"Scientific evidence is clear that there is no safe level of lead exposure to humans or wildlife," said Assembly Member Anthony Rendon (D-Lakewood).

But the gun industry and hunting groups oppose the ban and feel this is really a backdoor attempt to ban hunting altogether in California. They say it's very difficult to buy non-lead bullets anywhere.

"The fact that a product is advertised does not mean it's available," said Sam Paredes of Gun Owners of California. "If you go to a lot of the people that show non-lead ammunition being available, it's back-ordered and they cannot tell you when they're going to be able to deliver."

And less toxic alternatives like copper bullets are so expensive, they're unaffordable.

"That's why we view this right now as a ban on traditional hunting in California because we cannot get the non-lead ammo," said Kathy Lynch of the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

If the statewide ban goes through, California would be the first state in the nation to do so.
                            http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...ics&id=9189388

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                              Lead poisoning, yes, but to say that ammunition is the major cause is overstating it.
                              Not really. If you read the article...

Comment

Working...
                              X