New Emergency at Fukushima Reactor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
    Oh my, is there anything you aren't an expert in ?
    Not to mention this:

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      Actually I think TVA is installing an AP1000 at Bellefonte in Alabama...at least that was the discussion I read about last year when the TVA board approved the completion of one of the two units there. I am not sure, but I think that Watts Bar 2 may be an AP1000 also. Both these plants construction was mothballed in the 80's as TVA pivoted away from nuclear and they have just been put back on the board after TVA's 2 year energy review was completed in 2011. Between the 2 of them they should generate around 2800Mw if I remember correctly. This is more than a third of what TVA produces now at its existing plants.
      WBN 2 is not an AP1000 (circa 2000), but is slated to come online within the next few years. It is vintage 80's just like WBN 1. The Bellefonte discussions are simply that discussions. (Again we will see particularly inlight of cheap natural gas). I could rail for pages about the various utilities, but of them all, TVA is the one that has its act together LEAST. (Surprise that being a quasi Governmental Private ennterprise could bring the worst of two worlds together.)
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
        Considering the affinity those deep sea creatures have for any light or heat (read the under ocean volcanism) a bit of hot material might just be the ticket.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I thought Watts Bar might not be, but wasn't sure.

As far as Bellefonte is concerned, I just looked it up and it is going to be a Babcock and Wilcox pressurized reactor (1260Mw). Approval for completion of Bellefonte was given in 2011...to be completed once Watts Bar 2 is online. It appears that there were some discussions about converting Bellefonte to natural gas, but the reactor won out. Other than that, you are totally correct and I stand corrected, good sir!
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
            Considering the affinity those deep sea creatures have for any light or heat (read the under ocean volcanism) a bit of hot material might just be the ticket.
            The shrimp are already a foot long! What do want man? A post in the Tokyo monster thread?!?

Comment

Working...
            X