New Trouble for South China Sea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trouble for South China Sea?

It seems that China has reorganized its Coast Guard to more effectively steal islands from its neighbors:

China's reorganized coast guard, which was formally inaugurated on Monday, merges four agencies responsible for fisheries administration, maritime surveillance, customs enforcement and border control. Chinese officials said the move would help boost efficiency in law enforcement and "better safeguard China's sovereignty and maritime rights and interests."
    The coast guard's deployment "further demonstrates China's resolve to consolidate its self-acclaimed indisputable sovereignty in the South China Sea,"
    4 Chinese Coast Guard Ships were spotted off the coast of the Senkaku Islands and Japanese fighter jets were scrambled to intercept a Chinese early warning aircraft that was very close to Japanese airspace.

Are the Chinese trying to intimidate Japan into giving up sovereignty over these islands? Is there a chance that this might turn "hot"? Will the U.S. weigh in if it does?

Along with this Chinese Coast Guard Ships have been spotted recently near the Philippine's Scarborough Shoal. This is prompting the Philippines to look toward increasing military spending.

Are we looking at an Asian arms race developing?

What is the real goal of the Chinese here?

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
    It seems that China has reorganized its Coast Guard to more effectively steal islands from its neighbors
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

They're doing it as part of a deal with the US to spur US weapons exports.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The Philippines can't even build modern roads or provide toilets in public buildings so they're not going to be able to field anything close to a modern navy. Hell, they're still using old US WW2 ships which the US donated to them because we felt sorry for them so the best they'll ever be able to do is beg the US for more handouts.

I'm still pissed off that the ****ers got uppity and told us get out of Subic Bay so my inclination is to let them rot.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          I'm still pissed off that the ****ers got uppity and told us get out of Subic Bay
          are you gonna be okay?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

As long as we don't waste any more tax money as "aid" to those ingrates, yes.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Wow. Did a Filipino chick give you herpes or something?
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It seems that China has reorganized its Coast Guard to more effectively steal islands from its neighbors:

4 Chinese Coast Guard Ships were spotted off the coast of the Senkaku Islands and Japanese fighter jets were scrambled to intercept a Chinese early warning aircraft that was very close to Japanese airspace.

Are the Chinese trying to intimidate Japan into giving up sovereignty over these islands? Is there a chance that this might turn "hot"? Will the U.S. weigh in if it does?

Along with this Chinese Coast Guard Ships have been spotted recently near the Philippine's Scarborough Shoal. This is prompting the Philippines to look toward increasing military spending.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...-area-19756480
                China's first goal is to get the other nations, especially Japan, to acknowledge that there is a controversy over the islands.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  China's first goal is to get the other nations, especially Japan, to acknowledge that there is a controversy over the islands.
                  Supposedly there is natural gas there but I can't help but feel like...why does anyone give a **** about these islands again? It's almost like China is fighting over them just for something to fight over. And it gets our balls blue for another cold war so that our movies can have villains in them again that aren't like, well, north korea or some other stupid bull****.

Comment

No one really cares about the gas. At best, there is concern about shipping lanes, but it is really about nationalistic posturing.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      The Philippines can't even build modern roads or provide toilets in public buildings so they're not going to be able to field anything close to a modern navy. Hell, they're still using old US WW2 ships which the US donated to them because we felt sorry for them so the best they'll ever be able to do is beg the US for more handouts.

I'm still pissed off that the ****ers got uppity and told us get out of Subic Bay so my inclination is to let them rot.
                      Wow, Oerdin, did a Filipino piss in your cornflakes or something...!?

Maybe you need a history lesson in the US' involvement in the Philippines from the beginning, starting with the Philippine-American War?

Reasons why educated Filipinos might hate the US: Naked aggression; Rampant imperialism; Interning civilians into concentration camps with the inadequate care thereof resulting in the deaths of many thousands... etc, etc...

Sure, they got nicer afterwards...

Anyway, read up on the history of America's involvement in the Philippines in an unbiased manner and then decide whether or not you still feel the same way.

PS, they've already let the Americans back into Subic Bay and Clark AFB.
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        Supposedly there is natural gas there but I can't help but feel like...why does anyone give a **** about these islands again? It's almost like China is fighting over them just for something to fight over. And it gets our balls blue for another cold war so that our movies can have villains in them again that aren't like, well, north korea or some other stupid bull****.
                        Would you care to remind me why the US got involved in Iraq again...?

Also, if this was the Chinese dicking around in American waters, I rather imagine you'd be singing a far different tune...?

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...-area-19756480
                          I think we're looking at a typical bullying posture from the local superpower. That's what men with guns do.

The US has already been forced to shift its naval emphasis in the Pacific to even higher levels and will continue to do so to counter the threat of the Chinese.

Comment

I believe that the implications here are more than a

While I think the chances of an actual shooting war are slim (but not zero), I think this has more to do with China trying to establish itself as the dominant Power in the region, feeding the flames of Chinese Nationalism, furthering its basis to claim Taiwan, and sticking the Japanese nose in it.

I think there may be unintended consequences however. Japan is increasing its defense budget and even discussing changing the constitution to allow offensive action. The Philippines are moving closer to the U.S. and even discussing the U.S. again stationing military assets on their soil. Even Vietnam is courting closer ties with the U.S. to counter Chinese aggression in the islands disputed between the two of them.

If China is doing this to try and secure its sea lanes, then having an unfriendly U.S. led Vietnam-Taiwan-Philippine-Japanese arc around them doesn't seem very smart.

The only conclusion I can draw is that China is so desperate to secure energy resources that it is willing to risk confrontation.

The Chinese may have adopted a lot of the economic philosophy of the West, but "Blood for Oil" would be their real baptism into the Superpower realm....Sadly.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I believe that the implications here are more than a
                              Then you would be wrong.

The consequences of a shooting war would be nuclear war. The chances of it happening are as incredibly small, it's not worth worrying about. Plus, the consequences are so serious, that we won't be around to suffer through the post-apocalyptic hellscape.

The discussion might be interesting. But it's so far removed from the reality of daily life, that we might as well be discussing the plot of a Tom Clancy book. Which is fine. I love his books.

Just don't let your imagination get the best of you.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X