Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the media biased when it comes to hate crimes? Ohio man beaten last year by 'bored' teens dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the media biased when it comes to hate crimes? Ohio man beaten last year by 'bored' teens dies.

An Ohio man who was badly beaten by six teens last year has died, and the attackers could face new charges if an autopsy shows his death was caused by the beating.

Pat Mahaney, 46, died Friday in the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, a spokeswoman told the Columbus Dispatch. Six teenagers — all 13 or 14 — injured Mahaney in August and told police they beat him because they were bored and wanted something to do.

A spokeswoman for the Hamilton County prosecutor’s office said Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph Deters has asked the coroner for an autopsy.

An autopsy has been completed but results will be unclear until further testing, which could take several weeks, a spokesman from the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office told FoxNews.com early Monday. No additional information was available.

Three of the teenagers have pleaded guilty to felonious assault. A spokeswoman would not elaborate on whether Deters will seek additional charges against the teens. Spokeswoman Julie Wilson said the Hamilton County’s prosecutor’s office will describe its “next steps, if any,” after the coroner issues a report, the Dispatch reports

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/15...#ixzz2Z8BfG0qK

If the victim had been black or brown instead of white would this have gotten more media coverage?

This case does not seem to have the racial overtones that attract media attention.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

So if the victim had been black and the attackers had been white it would not have gotten any attention also?
      You really believe that?

Comment

The report doesn't mention race at all. Were the attackers black and the victim white? If they were all one race, it has no racial tension element and is thus less likely to attract interest.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

An eldery mentally disabled man was killed after a beating here in Seattle. It was really sad but didnt amount to more than local news. One of the minors involved in the beating was later arrested for a separate murder years later after serving time in juvenile jail.

I just dont see national news controversy here or there.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            The report doesn't mention race at all. Were the attackers black and the victim white? If they were all one race, it has no racial tension element and is thus less likely to attract interest.
            If there were of different race, how likely do you think it is that they wouldn't mention race?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              The victim was white and the attackers were black.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                The victim was white and the attackers were black.

Ahh...that does make a difference. In that case, I do believe that you have a point...if race was the issue. Racism in ALL of its forms is bad...wouldn't you agree?
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

People who think that "reverse racism" is a thing are ****ing retarded.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It probably got less attention in part because the perpetrators were juveniles - juveniles typically have to do something like shoot up a school in order to garner national media attention.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      People who think that "reverse racism" is a thing are ****ing retarded.
                      It depends by what you mean as a "thing". Certainly any racism...reverse or otherwise is a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                        Ahh...that does make a difference. In that case, I do believe that you have a point...if race was the issue. Racism in ALL of its forms is bad...wouldn't you agree?

Comment

Like I said, a similar thing happened in Seattle to a mentally disable man affectionately referred to as "Tuba Man" based on the tuba he would play at sporting events and shows at Seattle Center/Qwest Field. It didnt make national news then.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                            Like I said, a similar thing happened in Seattle to a mentally disable man affectionately referred to as "Tuba Man" based on the tuba he would play at sporting events and shows at Seattle Center/Qwest Field. It didnt make national news then.

Was it a hate crime?
                            Or just a black on white crime?

Comment

I have made an observation that the media is quick to jump on and sensationalize a white on black crime but gives very little mention to black on white crime.
                              Why I don't know.
                              I do know that if you were to question as to why, you are quick to be labeled a racist for asking.

Comment

Working...
                              X