No announcement yet.

Pilots named in San Francisco 777 crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have to type it into the teleprompter? No copy-paste?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Somebody had to originally write/type the newscasters copy. It then might have been cut and pasted into the teleprompter, but the copy just didn't magically appear, somebody wrote it, and had to have looked/typed the names.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ross Giggins: Turning now to sports...
        (Cindy types new text for the teleprompter)
        Ross: And an evil video tape that kills anyone who watches it in seven days. It's true. We're all in danger. There's an alien force that's trying prevent you from knowing the truth.
        Carson Ward: Oh, no. Campbell, are you insane?
        Ross: It's a horrible fate.
        Cindy: Carson, I have to do this.
        (Ward types his text)
        Ross: Correction, there really is no danger. Actually, I didn't really mean anything I just said. Yes, I did. Every word of it. Everyone watching this could be dead in a week.
        (everybody's fighting over the telemprompter keyboard, the janitor sits on it)
        Ross: O shizl gzngahr. BBBBBTTTTTGGGGTGGGGTGGGG = % + 7, ,193419ckinetdvauserstngublchnqshnitzi guorsnblkn(, , 18 469
        (the janitor takes over the keyboard)
        Ross: I been cleanin' after this dumb-ass cracker Giggins for ten years, but I been hittin' it with his woman for twelve. Know what I'm sayin', nigga? She likes her some chocolate. Sharpton for President, y'all. I'm outie. Peace

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
          Somebody had to originally write/type the newscasters copy. It then might have been cut and pasted into the teleprompter, but the copy just didn't magically appear, somebody wrote it, and had to have looked/typed the names.
          See, I was envisioning a scenario where the original names were sent in by a prankster, and then copy-pasted in a slapdash manner by everyone else down the chain because they had a hole to fill in the lineup and the NTSB approved it via text message or something. It's not much, but it's the most plausible explanation I can think of.
          1011 1100

Comment

Greatest promo for Anchorman 2 ever!
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

And now the lawsuit:

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Asiana Airlines says it will proceed with its planned lawsuit against an Oakland, California, television station -- but it's not going to pursue legal action against the National Transportation Safety Board.

Over the weekend, the Korean airlines had said it would sue both entities after an intern at the NTSB mistakenly confirmed "inaccurate and offensive" names as those of the pilots of ill-fated Flight 214.

The bogus names that phonetically spelled out phrases such as "Something Wrong" and "We Too Low" were read during KTVU's noon broadcast on Friday. The airline called the report "demeaning" and said it was "reviewing possible legal action."

Monday morning, the airline seemed to have a partial change of heart.

Watch this video

Third Asiana 214 crash victim dies
              Airline spokesman Na Chul-hee said Asiana has retained a U.S. law firm to file a defamation claim against the TV station. But, he said, the company didn't have plans to file a separate suit against the NTSB.

"After a legal review, the company decided to file a law suit against the network because it was their report that resulted in damaging the company's image," he said.

On Friday, KTVU anchor Tori Campbell read the names. The news station, a CNN affiliate, later apologized on air and on its website.

"Nothing is more important to us than having the highest level of accuracy and integrity, and we are reviewing our procedures to ensure this type of error does not happen again," KTVU posted on its website.

The station said the names were confirmed by an NTSB official in Washington prior to air.

The NTSB also apologized for the "inaccurate and offensive" names that were erroneously confirmed by a summer intern.

"Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft," the NTSB said Friday in a statement.

It was not immediately clear who produced the fake names, but the NTSB said it was not the intern.

"The names were presented by the station, to the intern for confirmation," said NTSB spokeswoman Kelly Nantel. "The intern did not make up the names and provide them to the station."

The NTSB said it does not release or confirm the identities of crew members or people involved in transportation accidents.

"We work hard to ensure that only appropriate factual information regarding an investigation is released and deeply regret today's incident," the NTSB statement said.

The NTSB did not identify the intern, but said, "Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated."

Asiana identified the pilot at the controls of the Boeing 777 that undershot its approach and clipped a sea wall before crash-landing on the runway as Lee Kang-Kuk. There were two other pilots in the cockpit at the time of the accident.

Asiana Flight 214 was carrying 291 passengers and 16 crew members when it crash landed July 6 on the runway after striking a seawall.

Three passengers died, including a girl who died of her injuries Friday morning. More than 180 others were injured.
              Asiana Airlines says it will proceed with legal action against TV station, but not against the National Transportation Safety Board.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

^
                Asiana identified the pilot at the controls of the Boeing 777 that undershot its approach and clipped a sea wall before crash-landing on the runway as Lee Kang-Kuk.
                Leaking cook? I don't get it...
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

It's a typo. The U was supposed to be an O, as in he was peeing himself with terror.

There's going to be a lawsuit for that error, too.

...crap, I made fun of air crash victims. Don't believe in purgatory, guess this means I'm going to hell.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X