X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    Jesus.

Glad you're okay, Asher.

Has Calgary had this level of flooding before?
    No, it's being called a 100-year flood. So if it did happen before, Calgary had a population of 90,000 or less.

How quickly do you expect clean up to take, and how much help are you expecting from Ottawa?
    I've no idea in all respects.

The mayor just said he expects downtown to remain closed off until mid next week due to power issues at the earliest.

It's kind of surreal - the flooding is all (obviously) concentrated along the rivers. As there are no rivers near where I work or live, it's pretty much business as usual. But if you try to leave this quadrant of the city, it's like another world right now.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
      Do you know if important equipment of those office blocks are kept in the basement?
      I would hope not, however the building in the last picture is actually a central heating & power unit that powers and heats many buildings in the downtown core. If it's flooded, I'd expect that's why downtown will be screwed for a while.

(Fortunately I work out in the suburbs on a university campus).
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

What's also pretty amazing is so far only 3 people are suspected to be dead, and all of them were not in Calgary but rural communities to the west that actually got hit even harder:

Most people heeded the mandatory evacuation calls which were in advance of floodwaters in each neighbourhoods. The idiots who didn't evacuate are apparently being rescued from military helicopters.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            It looks like those fly fishing waders came in handy. I bet that water is pretty toxic too just like it was in New Orleans. You have sewerlines over flowing, gas from gas stations, and not to mention all the various chemicals and what not in people's homes and businesses all added to the mix. At least Alberta isn't subtropical like Louisiana.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

More importantly, was there any damage to the curved office building?

Comment

Up to 100,000 people forced from their homes. The pictures of homes being pushed off of their foundations by the flood waters are pretty surreal.

Rivers fed by torrential rains spilled across southern Alberta, Canada, Friday, leaving two people dead and covering downtown Calgary in brown floodwater.

Comment

Tens of thousands of people have been forced out of their homes in Calgary, where rising waters have officials on alert. CBC's Cameron MacIntosh surveys the flood zone from above, bringing us video and photos of the damage.

Video of the flooding from a news helicopter.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post

Probably.

Comment

Amateur footage has captured the moment a roof collided with a bridge as it was washed down stream in Bragg Creek, Alberta.

Video of the roof of a house colliding with a bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post

That's a nice tower.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Hi Asher.

I knew your home would be safe from what I could recall of where you lived. Mine is fine too and should never have a problem from flood.

My work experience yesterday was similar to yours as well ... I travelled all the way from the west end down to essentially 22x with light traffic and no issues. Glenmore trail, 14rh street and Macleod trail are all major arteries with no issues when I drove them.

Mrs Flubber worked a night shift at Foothills hospital. Only issue she had was that the Transcanada highway was closed but not flooded at the Shouldice bridge. She showed her hospital pass and they let her cross but they were turning everyone else back
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                            That's a nice tower.
                            Aye - Norman Foster designed it. It officially opened just a few months ago.

Flubber - glad to hear your family is safe.

Comment

Asher?

Rain or snow melt?

Comment

Great to hear most people seem to be safe.

The pictures from High River were even more dramatic. Have they ever considered changing their name to something less jinxed?

Comment

Working...
                                X