No announcement yet.

Remembering Fallen American Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a big difference between taking advantage of a situation and creating a situation.

Please show any proof that they created the situation. Assume what you want, but before you make blanket accusations, a little proof would be nice.

(I am not defending these Corporations, just pointing out your arrogance.)
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think it is 100.0% irrelevant to this discussion whether they did or not. We're not remembering wars, or politicians, or outcomes. We're honoring fallen soldiers. WWII soldiers, Vietnam soldiers, Iraq soldiers, whatever - they're all the same: fallen soldiers who died doing what their country asked of them. Whether what they were asked was a good thing or not is irrelevant to _this_ discussion. Have that discussion on another day, in another place.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Good point. I always try to watch a few of the classic war movies in tribute. I've never served and I haven't lost any close family members but I did lose a few friends from my younger days in Nam. I like to take a few seconds to remember their sacrifice.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sloww, I think it's invidious to single any fallen soldier out for particular attention, usually- but this is a Texan you may not have heard of. He was, I believe, the first African American to command white troops in battle :

Oliver Law

Oliver is another interesting character from the Spanish Civil War as he was the first African American combat military commander (I’m sure there will be someone who will dispute this) but also because like Robert Merriman there are various tales of his abilities and even how he met his death.
          Born in Texas in 1899 he served as a young man in the US Army during WW1 (24th Infantry – rising to corporal – the maximum rank that could be achieved by a Negro). Post war he had several jobs and moved to Chicago.
          By 1930 he was a member of the communist party and very active in fighting the unemployment of the Great Depression. Other activists in Chicago included Steve Nelson and Joe Dallet both strong figures in the Spanish Civil war on the side of the Republic. He also became involved in the anti-fascist demonstrations against Mussolini and the invasion of Ethiopia. He married Corrine Lightfoot the sister of a fellow Chicago communist Claude Lightfoot.
          In 1936 he volunteered to fight in Spain and joined the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, making his way to Albacete in early 1937 where the International Brigade was forming.
          During Feb 1937 he took part in the battle for Jarama and did so well he was quickly promoted to company commander and then later to battalion commander. In July he was killed in battle at Brunette.
          His grave post read – ‘Oliver Law, the first negro to command American white soldiers’.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spcopeman2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	9095642
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

No, I wasn't familiar with the man. Thanks for an interesting read.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
            X