Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A discussion on the merits of various brands of condiments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A discussion on the merits of various brands of condiments.

I had previously been of the line of thinking that all ketchup was the same even though I am fairly particular as to how I like my mustard. This opinion has changed though after buying a jar of Sir Kensington's Gourmet Ketchup recently at Whole Foods. Yes, the price is rather high for ketchup, $6 for a jar which amounts to half the quantity, but I liked that they make it from fresh tomatoes instead of tomato concentrate, that they put half as much sugar in it as the leading supermarket brands, and that they use real fresh spices & apple vinegar which really gives it an extra zing. Even the container looks classier and is easier to use than the old bottle of Heinz. I'd highly recommend it to everyone.

So this got me thinking about what other condiments are out there and if any particular brand really is better than the mass market stuff on super market shelves. I mean we routinely consume a whole variety of condiments but, if you're like me, we tend to think of them as interchangeable commodities which are all pretty much the same. Mayo, mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, various salad dressings, a million and one types of salsas & hot sauces, tzatziki sauce, Vegemite, chimichurri, fish sauce, HP/Brown sauce, various types of relish... The list of condiments we use goes on and on. So what types and brands of condiments do you find to be the best and why?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

have you tried making your own? A lost art.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I have made my own aioli and even though it only takes 5-10 minutes to do it I normally just cop out and use mayo instead. The aioli does taste better and it probably some what healthier but it must be made fresh each time you want to use it as it will separate as it doesn't have the stablizers like store bought mayo has.

Comment

Heinz-57 is the only steak sauce I use. Sometimes in place of ketchup.

Comment

my mother made pickle spreads
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
            my mother made pickle spreads
            Hmmmmmmm.......sounds good, I like pickles.

Comment

Trojans are the best.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Oh, I see what you did there.

Comment

Strub's horseradish. Anytime you're using beef.
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

If we're seriously discussing condiments I think we may have reached some sort of new psychological threshold

Comment

cholula hot sauce is pretty good
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This mushroom ketchup gives real depth and flavour to garlic mushrooms (fried or grilled) veggie or meat stir fries, a traditional Belfast/Irish breakfast, mushroom stuffed brioche, sauted savoy cabbage, beef casserole....

Sometimes I sip it neat....

Click image for larger version

Name:	rmkfdans1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	9095577
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I will have to try that Ketchup, personally I don't like Catsup. that may change with this however. My kids get what's ever cheapest, and they eat it by the spoonful. So, no complaints.

Other condiments certainly have superior and inferior versions. Mustard, for example, has a ton of varieties. Pure yellow mustard is only good for pork rubs. Only get the Siracha with the rooster on it, and Sweet Baby Rays is the best bbq sauce you can buy.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            I have made my own aioli and even though it only takes 5-10 minutes to do it I normally just cop out and use mayo instead. The aioli does taste better and it probably some what healthier but it must be made fresh each time you want to use it as it will separate as it doesn't have the stablizers like store bought mayo has.
                            You can buy emulsifiers and add them to your aioli. Simples.
                            Now, let's see what condiments I like:
                            1. Mustard. American/German mustard sucks (unless it's sweet German mustard), I like Russian mustard; if you're not careful, it sucker punches your sinuses so hard you cry.
                            2. Tkemali. Georgian plum sauce, sour and spicy, goes great with fatty pieces of meat.
                            3. Satsebeli. Another Georgian sauce, it's like ketchup, but has no starch, sugar or vinegar; instead, it has more herbs and spices.
                            4. Abkhazian adjika. Red pepper sauce. Unlike Hungarian erospista, it isn't pure capsaicin and has much richer flavour.
                            5. I have no idea what the name of this condiment is, but you basically take coriander leaves, garlic, some parsley and dill, mince them and add some olive oil and vinegar and salt. Works great as a spread if you have some rye bread lying around.
                            6. Horseradish. Works best if you mince it yourself. Add some beetroot juice if it's too strong.
                            7. Tzatziki is awesome, but it's hard to find Greek youghurt in Moscow.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

For commercial BBQ sauce, I've been hooked on Bullseye for the past 10-15 years.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X