No announcement yet.

New Star Trek Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denise Richards was absolutely gorgeous, but she was still a lousy actress. If all you're looking for is an appearance, it's not a movie you're looking for so much as a painting, or a series of paintings. And Avatar failed on just about every other level: plot, characters, dialogue, setting, all cliched, ripped-off, derivative or simply uninspired. The acting...well, there wasn't much to act, since every character barely aspired to one-dimensionality, so I'll give that an N/A grade. I don't remember anything about the music and sound, so I guess those get a pass grade, for what that's worth.

Also, significantly less moral complexity than Michael Bay's Transformers movies.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
      It was a ****ing tech demo, not a movie. You admit as much yourself when the first thing that pops into your mind is how purty it was rather than its plot. 3D in general adds nothing to the value of a movie IMO and only serves to pad the price of the ticket.
      It was a worthwhile tech demo . And the 3D was absolutely stunning in Avatar.

I still consider it to be a good value.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        IIRC that rancid ****burger Avatar garnered an 80% or so on RT, so that doesn't mean much.
        Wrath of Khan gets 91%
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

When it came out, Gene Weingarten compared it to the utter dreck produced in the early days of cinema, citing a "film" that was just footage of people doing pratfalls for a couple of minutes. The point being that people will drastically lower their standards where novel technology is concerned. Our kids, raised on (hopefully) less abysmally stupid movies made with the same if not better technology, will laugh at the rave reviews for Avatar.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            IIRC that rancid ****burger Avatar garnered an 80% or so on RT, so that doesn't mean much.
            You let your own personal bias color your judgement too much. It makes you a poor critic. Avatar had many redeeming qualities that made up for its generic/recycled plot, which in itself, isn't a good criticism.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
            X