New Star Trek Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
    The Voyage Home, Wrath of Khan, The Final Frontier, Undiscovered Country say Hi.
    I was thinking primarily of the TV series, but fine. I never said there hadn't been ****ty Star Trek movies before; most of them seem to have been crap. I object to the notion that the reboot wasn't one of them. I never saw IV and V because of their rumored crumminess, and it's been decades since I saw VI.

As for TWOK, while it didn't explore any deep philosophical themes--score one for DD there--it had a serious leg up on its recent imitator insofar as it made coherent sense. All the actions the characters took were believable in light of their personalities and what they knew, and the technological conceits were consistent. There wasn't, for example, that problem where everybody in Starfleet knew Kirk Senior's story--it's clearly famous from the way Spock talks, Pike even knows exactly how many minutes the guy was in charge--but Kirk has to personally remind them of it because whole shiploads conveniently forgot it, along with apparently all of their top brass. Did they even read the script before shooting?

And yeah, TOS had godawful SFX, rotten acting, uneven dialogue, etc. The only thing to like about it was its infectiously hopeful humanistic faith in a brighter science-driven future. I'm a cynic and I think that's all BS, but it's fun to sojourn in that mindset for a while. Oh, and the aforementioned willingness to go out on a limb philosophically. I expect that kind of thing from Star Trek. If I want mindless action, hell, there's a billion comic-book movies better suited to that sort of thing, and nonsensical plots are traditional there.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
      Thought-provoking in a finger-wagging "don't do bad" kind of way perhaps. Only a few episodes in DS9 managed to truly thought-provoking. Then again, that series also was lambasted for being a betrayal of Roddenberrry.
      I said TOS. The Original Series. But never mind that. I'd take any level of thought-provoking over Kirk risking everybody's lives to waste a dude who was clearly going to die anyway, all for the sake of dumb machismo.
      1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        I said TOS. The Original Series. But never mind that. I'd take any level of thought-provoking over Kirk risking everybody's lives to waste a dude who was clearly going to die anyway, all for the sake of dumb machismo.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
          Oh that's rich for a person who makes a living off others suffering and pain.
          ...leaving aside that this makes no sense, don't you work in healthcare too?
          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            ...leaving aside that this makes no sense, don't you work in healthcare too?

it was the only thing I could come up with

Comment

Oh that's rich for a person who makes a living off others suffering and pain.

BTW
              you should see my pirate kindel book collection

After careful consideration, I've decided that I don't like you, and would be very happy if you would kindly go **** yourself.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                After careful consideration, I've decided that I don't like you, and would be very happy if you would kindly go **** yourself.
                if he could, he'd never leave the house.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post

Don't care what you think. Your the one being a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                    if he could, he'd never leave the house.
                    sure wouldn't need women

Comment

no rose tinted glass
                      star trek always was what it was
                      but now it's just like every other turd CGI bull**** movie out nowadays

There's been maybe like 5 good movies in the last 10 years. And 2 were Tarantino flicks.

Everything else is garbage for autistics
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        no rose tinted glass
                        star trek always was what it was
                        but now it's just like every other turd CGI bull**** movie out nowadays

There's been maybe like 5 good movies in the last 10 years. And 2 were Tarantino flicks.

Everything else is garbage for autistics

Comment

you are a terrible person for the most part
                          it pains me that you agree with me
                          but having said that, i'd still probably enjoy hanging out with you

especially if it involves shooting stuff
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            you are a terrible person for the most part
                            it pains me that you agree with me
                            but having said that, i'd still probably enjoy hanging out with you

especially if it involves shooting stuff

nothing more dangerous than hunting empty beer cans.....especially when they are wounded

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

sure wouldn't need women

Lucky women.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X