Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Aldrin wants a Mars colony

Why?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Hot green alien poontang. Why else?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
      Why?
      So we can mine all of Mars's precious sand.

Also, so that if a huge meteor hits Earth, the human race will be saved from extinction by the hundred or so people living on Mars.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
        Why?
        Because the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Comment

Because we can, and because we need something to strive for as a nation to bring us together... Bush's attempt with Iraq certainly didn't do it
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I think a better idea is to colonize the ocean floor and wake up Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
              So we can mine all of Mars's precious sand.

Also, so that if a huge meteor hits Earth, the human race will be saved from extinction by the hundred or so people living on Mars.
              I think we should find ourselves a nice comet that isn't planning on doing any collision work soon and colonise that. Humanity would get to travel all around the solar system.
              Last edited by Colonâ„¢; May 9, 2013, 10:40.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Let's try the moon first, it's a lot closer...
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Mars is more useful, though - a good stepping stone to the asteroid belt and serious industry. The fourth? fifth? industrial revolution awaits us...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                    Mars is more useful, though - a good stepping stone to the asteroid belt and serious industry. The fourth? fifth? industrial revolution awaits us...
                    This is the key. Mars would be a great jump off point for mining the asteroid belt. I think the first step though is getting the Lagrange point space station up and running.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      How do you know that? 1. Why is it a useful stepping stone to the asteroid belt more than the moon, and b. what do you think it has that the moon doesn't?

The moon has a lighter gravity well and is closer, and probably some areas of the moon have deposits of metal ore that can be used to build spacecraft if that's your meaning of stepping stone. Mars has extremely harsh weather, is far away, and has a much larger gravity well than the moon. It would probably be less of a technical accomplishment to build a habitat on the moon than on Mars, because there wouldn't be any adverse weather and getting supplies there is easier. Remember, we've already solved the problem of keeping humans underwater indefinitely (nuclear submarines, limited only by food), and the only obstacle to indefinite living in space is bone and muscle decay from microgravity, and the moon has gravity.

Powering stuff on the moon would also be way easier. It's much closer to the sun AND there's no atmosphere, so solar panels are vastly more efficient, and there are areas in nearly perpetual sunlight. Furthermore, thanks to the lighter gravity well and proximity to the earth, it would be much simpler to move nuclear reactors there.

Conclusion: Mars colony = stupid.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

If the idea is to mine asteroids, then Mars would be a better choice: closer to the asteroids, and you're much less likely to inadvertently crash the asteroids into Earth (presumably you'd be mining the asteroids from the moon by setting them up in orbit - I doubt you're making repeated round-trip to the asteroid belt).

Still, the most likely result of a Mars colony is a lot of dead colonists.

Comment

If humanity is going to be more than just planetary pond scum, it needs to start moving in the direction of creating a stellar economy. The sheer numbers of production in energy and mass of goods that such an economy produces easily dwarfs anything humanity has ever done. To put it in perspective... compared to that sort of society, we are an ice age fishing village. Establishing a colony on Mars is a step along the way. But I'm not sure if it is necessarily productive expenditure of resources for us in the relative short term. Terraforming Mars should perhaps be a goal. Such a thing would be a demonstration of our technological development. 20,000 years ago, it would be unimaginable for a human society to move into and settle a particular geographic region and build modern infrastructure with the relative speed current technology allows. We can build super-highways that criss-cross a continent. That future society? They can build transportation infrastructure that spans the solar system.

Personally, I doubt humanity will become that civilization. We are big on imagination... but the political will to invest in such advancement just doesn't exist. The best we have is rich guys shooting themselves into orbit. That's a far cry from an organized society spending serious time, effort, and resources in becoming a space-faring society. We're moving at a snail's pace. IMO, our civilization isn't particularly sustainable. I think a contraction and decline of sorts awaits us.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't know if a Mars colony would make more or less sense than a Moon colony, but I do know it makes more sense not to send humans at all except as a form of dick waving.

Comment

Mars has water and C02.

And don't underestimate the proximity to the asteroid belt thing. It's not only a stepping stone on the way there, but a stepping stone on the way back with your ore/processed materials.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X