Buzz Aldrin wants a Mars colony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava View Post
    If humanity is going to be more than just planetary pond scum, it needs to start moving in the direction of creating a stellar economy. The sheer numbers of production in energy and mass of goods that such an economy produces easily dwarfs anything humanity has ever done. To put it in perspective... compared to that sort of society, we are an ice age fishing village. Establishing a colony on Mars is a step along the way. But I'm not sure if it is necessarily productive expenditure of resources for us in the relative short term. Terraforming Mars should perhaps be a goal. Such a thing would be a demonstration of our technological development. 20,000 years ago, it would be unimaginable for a human society to move into and settle a particular geographic region and build modern infrastructure with the relative speed current technology allows. We can build super-highways that criss-cross a continent. That future society? They can build transportation infrastructure that spans the solar system.

Personally, I doubt humanity will become that civilization. We are big on imagination... but the political will to invest in such advancement just doesn't exist. The best we have is rich guys shooting themselves into orbit. That's a far cry from an organized society spending serious time, effort, and resources in becoming a space-faring society. We're moving at a snail's pace. IMO, our civilization isn't particularly sustainable. I think a contraction and decline of sorts awaits us.

Comment

Originally posted by Pax View Post
      In order to colonize the moon or mars there has to be a need. New markets or new resources.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        That's why we trade them a giant diamond.
        We better get some buggalo in return.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

78,000 people have applied to live on Mars. Up to 3,000 will make the first cut, and the 28-40 finalists will spend seven years training before 4 finally get selected for a one-way trip to live on Mars.
          What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
          What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Buzz Aldrin is wicked smart. His Aldrin cylcers (between Earth and Mars) are very interesting.

I don't know if I would be a colonist. The weather sometimes sucks here, but it's much nicer than on Mars.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

hi Dan

Has Buzz been sniffing the space food again?

Oh wow - born the sam year as my Mum Maybe he wants moonwalk with a zimmer frame?
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                Buzz Aldrin is wicked smart. His Aldrin cylcers (between Earth and Mars) are very interesting.

I don't know if I would be a colonist. The weather sometimes sucks here, but it's much nicer than on Mars.
                Hey!

Buzz may be smart - probably even a little smarter than me - but I think he's falling for the Star Trek myth in which humans pointlessly man starships and the like. There could/will be a real value in all kinds of operations in space and on other planets, but I doubt they will require a lot of involvement of humans "on the ground". Robots don't require oxygen or water and aren't very picky about the weather.

And if we'd come across another planet with earth-like conditions, where people can walk around with merely a leaf to cover their genitalia, where air isn't man-made, and we'd be able to get there in a reasonable time, a staging post with people on Mars isn't going to make the difference.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I think the main problem with robots is that, with the distances involved, control is quite awkward. It takes a couple of minutes to get a message to a Mars rover today, for example. If you got reasonably smart robots well-established they could run themselves, but I imagine getting to that point would be a monumental PITA. Imagine setting up a mine with a gang of autistic laborers who get their instructions via fax. Any kind of breakdown in equipment would be a huge hassle to fix from millions of miles away, and the more complex the operation the more opportunities there'd be for the system to break down.

Still don't see why we'd want to roam around space in the first place, with robots or people.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢ View Post
                    Why?
                    He's a huge fan of guitar music.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean+Of+Sound+4+-+Guitars+On+Mars.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	9095393

I want some Lindt chocolate with seasalt. I know which is going to happen first....
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      I think the main problem with robots is that, with the distances involved, control is quite awkward. It takes a couple of minutes to get a message to a Mars rover today, for example. If you got reasonably smart robots well-established they could run themselves, but I imagine getting to that point would be a monumental PITA. Imagine setting up a mine with a gang of autistic laborers who get their instructions via fax. Any kind of breakdown in equipment would be a huge hassle to fix from millions of miles away, and the more complex the operation the more opportunities there'd be for the system to break down.

Still don't see why we'd want to roam around space in the first place, with robots or people.
                      I don't think the ability for robots to repair themselves in such circumstances is all that unlikely. At its most basic such a repair would consist of identifying the faulty part and replacing it. There's already technology in robots that can self-heal, can still function despite damage and are adaptive, and we are talking about a scenario well into the future where mining in space or other planets could be economical. Perhaps a few technicians on the ground, but Jamestown on Mars? Nah.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Hey horse. Hey Colon™. How's everything?

I like Buzz because he was one of the few real scientists in the Apollo program. He comes at things from a different angle and is willing to entertain new ideas. Most of the other Apollo astronauts have fossilized, I'm afraid. They've had nothing useful to do since they stopped flying Saturn Vs.

Buzz is like all of the other true believers -- the smart, capable, energetic folks. It has always been Mars or bust for these guys. For sure, it started earlier than von Braun. Tsiolkovsky and Goddard were big on Mars. I think it has something to do with how small the planet is to the naked eye.

I don't know if living on Mars would be any fun after the first year or two, but it would be great to visit for a while. True, the trip and visit has some strange requirements.

The exploratory superlative is exciting for me. If those that are trying for it nowadays can work on costs of getting there to something not really sacrificial, I'm all for it. The results could surprise us.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Buzz is still cool at 83, as opposed to my Mum, who just forgets everything these days and rings ten times to ask the same question
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

So we can create the Total Recall world down to the last detail.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Especially the three-boobed mutant.

Comment

Buzz is awesome, that's why.
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X