Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why I am opposed to privatized prisons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    How is that a good example? In the example I used earlier of the banks foreclosing on property they don't own, the issue isn't that only the people responsible are charged with crimes, it is that no-one get's held criminally responsible. Because the crimes are carried out by a large organization, apparently no criminal proceedings need to take place and a fine and/or settlement is all that is required.
    It's a good example because it illustrates very clearly that corporations (or any group of people) should not be treated as a singular entity in regards to criminal punishment based on actions of specific individuals within the group.

Whether or not the punishments meted out to the responsible parties is proper is another issue entirely, and not one I addressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      WTF. A corporation can't commit murder. I'm now convinced that you fundamentally don't understand what corporations are or how they work.

If someone in a corporation orders someone else to commit murder, that's a conspiracy to commit murder and the guilty parties are all individuals. I'm really not sure what you're on about here.
      My 2nd cousin 4 times removed was killed by an infection caused by a paper cut received when the articles of incorporation for a local business flew out the window of a passing automobile and struck my kinsman about the face and neck
      Last edited by Aeson; April 30, 2013, 20:42. Reason: They plea bargained down to aggravated littering ...

Comment

• I would be happy for those who make the decisions to be held responsible.

This isn't the case, because the corporation is making the decisions... the issue comes down to no one having responsibility. You can see this in the theft by the banks in UK/US.

I think that some people should be charged with manslaughter in the texas explosive case...

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I would be happy for those who make the decisions to be held responsible.

This isn't the case, because the corporation is making the decisions... the issue comes down to no one having responsibility. You can see this in the theft by the banks in UK/US.

I think that some people should be charged with manslaughter in the texas explosive case...

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
          X